The Food Health team works with food businesses in the local area to ensure that they are complying with food hygiene laws and meeting the required standards. The team's day to day functions can include:
- Enforcement of food hygiene legislation, including the inspection and monitoring of food businesses
- Food sampling to make sure that food sold by businesses is safe to eat
- Provision of advice for food handlers and food businesses
- Investigation of complaints about food and food premises
- Investigation of notified cases of food poisoning and infectious disease
- Promotion of health and healthy lifestyles
- Provision of advice and consultation to other departments and outside bodies on licensing, planning and other issues where food safety may be at risk.
Much of the work of the section is based on the enforcement of the law and as such is governed to a certain extent by national codes of practice and guidance which determine, for example, the frequency with which food inspections should be carried out.
In partnership with the Food Standards Agency, North East Lincolnshire Council is now operating the national Food Hygiene Rating Scheme. More information about this new scheme can be found on our Food Hygiene Rating Scheme pages.