Information on Grimsby Town Hall
Grimsby Town Hall was built over 150 years ago in 1863 and is used as a base for the Mayor of North East Lincolnshire and most Council meetings. Members of the public are entitled to attend such meetings to see and hear their elected representatives discuss more important issues.
At the rear of The Town Hall is the Archives Section whose staff store and research many important documents relating to the area’s history.
The Town Hall is also an ideal venue for a special event or occasion. It can accommodate up to 300 people in elegant surroundings and is used for Wedding Receptions, Concerts, Seminars and Exhibitions etc. The Town Hall offers elegance and efficiency and an outstanding setting for all those important occasions, either business or personal, when that “something special” is required.
The building of the Town Hall in its present form was completed in 1888 when its uses included a Police Station and Magistrates’ court, complete with cells whcih have been converted into the Tiwm Trap Museum.
The Grimsby News at the time described the building as “…at once handsome, complete and convenient, destined to become one of the show places of the County.” This description of one of Great Grimsby’s few really magnificent buildings is at least as valid today as it was then.
The beautiful glazed windows of the Council Chamber depict the arms of families and individuals and also military and industrial concerns closely related to the history of Grimsby.
Rooms can be hired at the Town Hall, information on the rooms, capacities and prices can be found in the attached leaflet. If you require any further information about room hire please call using the number at the bottom of this page.