Genuine equality of opportunity requires a society in which people are not excluded from the activities of that society on the basis of race, disability, gender, sexual orientation, religion/belief, gender reassignment, marriage & civil partnership, pregnancy & maternity or age.
Promoting diversity is about respecting and valuing the differences of individuals. Capturing the strength that comes from harnessing diversity can then be used in the promotion of a commonly held aim or vision. In our case, that vision is: to become a commissioning, enabling and facilitating organisation, focused on creating the right conditions for individuals, communities and businesses to prosper
The Council’s Equalities Policy Statement is:
- The council is committed to ensuring equality of treatment for everyone in connection with service delivery, recruitment and employment.
- The council is committed to the broad principles of social justice, is opposed to any form of discrimination, victimisation and harassment and accepts all its legal responsibilities in these respects.
- The council is committed to treating equally everyone with whom its representatives come into contact including current and potential service users, its employees, Elected Members and visitors.
- The council is committed to ensuring that no-one is treated in any way less favourably on the grounds of race, colour, national or ethnic or social origin, race, disability, gender, sexual orientation, gender reassignment, marriage & civil partnership, pregnancy & maternity, age , religion/belief or political/other personal beliefs.
- The council will implement all necessary actions and training to ensure its commitments with regard to equality of treatment are fulfilled and will monitor and review progress on a six monthly basis.
For more information please contact our Strategy, Change and Improvement Team
Hate Crime? - so do we - Report it, don't tolerate it!