You are here: Home > Resident > Benefits > How do I make a claim?

How do I make a claim for Housing Benefit or Council Tax Reduction?

Contact information


Benefits Team (Telephone and postal enquiries only).


Local Taxation and Benefits, Municipal Offices, Town Hall Square, Grimsby, N E Lincolnshire, DN31 1HU


01472 326287 option 2


01472 324322


Opening Times


08.00 - 17.00


08.00 - 17.00


08.00 - 17.00


08.00 - 17.00


08.00 - 17.00





Bank Holidays:

Document Downloads





Direction authorising electronic communication



Adobe PDF

Am I eligible?

You can check your eligibility with our online Benefits Calculator.

The amount you can get depends on who lives with you, your total income, any savings you have and if you live in private rented accommodation the number of rooms your family require.

Apply online

You can apply online 24 hours a day, 7 days a week at your convenience.  It's the fastest way to get your claim for Housing Benefit or Council Tax Reduction started.  Simply complete the online form and provide the evidence requested.

Please note:  It can take up to 30 days for us to deal with your new claim, or change in circumstance. We will write to you to tell you about the decision once it has been made. Please do not contact us to check on the progress of your claim unless it has been 30 days since you completed the form.

Housing Benefit and Council Tax Reduction New Claim Form

What if things change?

You must tell us if anything changes that could affect your entitlement to Housing Benefit or Council Tax Reduction. To do this you can use our Change of Circumstance online form.

Change of Circumstance Form

Documents we will need to see

When you make a claim you will also need to provide documents as proof of:

  • identity and National Insurance number,
  • savings and investments you have,
  • earnings, benefits, pensions or other income you receive,
  • rent and tenancy, if you are claiming Housing Benefit.

Don’t delay your claim

The sooner you get your form to us, the sooner we can start to process your claim, but we cannot grant your award until we receive all the proof we need.

If you cannot provide this now send the form back to us with as much information as you have. You may lose money if you don’t submit your form straight away.

Protection of public funds

North East Lincolnshire Council is under a duty to protect the public funds it administers, and to this end may use the information you have provided for your application for the prevention and detection of fraud. It may also share this information with other bodies responsible for auditing or administering public funds for these purposes. For further information, see or contact Internal Audit on 01472 323903.

A to Z of Council Services:

  1. A
  2. B
  3. C
  4. D
  5. E
  6. F
  7. G
  8. H
  9. I
  10. J
  11. K
  12. L
  13. M
  14. N
  15. O
  16. P
  17. Q
  18. R
  19. S
  20. T
  21. U
  22. V
  23. W
  24. X
  25. Y
  26. Z
  27. 0 - 9
Some of our website rely on cookies to improve your experience. If you want to stop cookies entirely, please visit our cookies section