The Crematorium is based at Weelsby Avenue, Grimsby, DN32 0BA and provides a committal chapel, memorial facilities and Gardens of Remembrance extending to 9 acres for use by the bereaved.
During the year 2012/13, 1614 cremation's were performed. There are no other Crematoria within the district; the nearest are located in the neighbouring counties of North Lincolnshire, the City of Lincoln and East Lindsey area (privately owned crematorium).
The Grimsby Cemeteries and Crematorium Office will provide support on all issues relating to burials, cremations and cemetery grounds within the Borough:
- Advice and assistance to all families prior to and after a funeral
- Supply and fit cemetery memorials (headstones)
- Provide advice and information on relevant legislation
- The provision of information on forthcoming funerals
- Cremations: Provide advice and information on what happens during the cremation process. Many myths exist and people worry unduly, the Grimsby Cemeteries and Crematorium staff can provide answers to ease those worries. An appointment can also be made for people to visit the crematorium and be shown how things happen
- Advice on Resident and Non-Resident Regulations
- Advice on Cemeteries and Burial including cemetery rules and regulations
- The maintenance and monitoring of the standard and upkeep of our cemeteries
- Grave settlement, grass seeding and levelling
- Advice on when funeral flowers and Christmas wreaths will be removed
- Memorials and After Cremation Commemoratives
- Provision of headstone permits to allow some masons to erect headstones
- The inspection and testing of all memorials / headstones to ensure stability and safety
- Appointments can be made for families and friends to witness the scattering of cremated remains
- The facility to reserve a grave for the future
- The transfer of ownership of graves and provision of advice and relevant documentation
- Assistance in sending or receiving remains from abroad
- Family History and Historical Information
Also adjacent to the Grimsby Crematorium site is a cemetery of 67 acres known as Scartho Road Cemetery for traditional burials.
Grimsby Crematorium opened in 1954, the extensive grounds are laid to lawn, with a memorial garden, and many varieties of trees and shrubs.
There is car parking outside the grounds to the Crematorium, a waiting room with public toilets, and also disabled persons toilet facilities. There are no catering facilities.
The chapel has seating for approximately 144 mourners with a balcony with seating for approximately 23 mourners with further downstairs standing room for larger congregations. The chapel is provided for use by all faiths or non-religious groups as appropriate.
Families may choose from live organ music and/or the Wesley Music system. The Wesley Music system also offers additional facilities - the service can be recorded by audio or visual, the service can viewed via a web cast and a tribute screen is also available to display photographs or video.
The speaker system has been extended to the chapel and coffin entrances so that the service can be relayed to mourners if the congregation is extra large.
There is an induction loop facility fitted to enable user's of hearing aids to listen to the service more clearly. Ministers or family members taking a service can make use of the vestry to prepare themselves beforehand.
Visitors may bring flowers to place in the Cloisters or the Book of Remembrance room at any time that we are open or you may sit in quiet reflection or prayer in the Chapel, provided that a funeral service is not taking place. We regret that personal vases and artificial tributes are not permitted.