What to do if you're worried about a child
If you are concerned about the welfare of a child or young person, please contact our Children’s Assessment and Safeguarding Service (CASS) on 01472 325555. You will be transferred to a Multi Agency Safeguarding Hub (MASH) Principal Social Worker who you can talk to about your concerns in confidence.
The Multi Agency Safeguarding Hub is the access point for all new referrals to Children Social Care within North East Lincolnshire. Once all information has been gathered within the MASH a decision will be made regarding the level of service which may be needed which can include 'signposting' to other services, advice given, assessment of need and intervention and support to children in need or in need of protection. On occasion it is necessary to formally intervene in families where a child's safety cannot be ensured, and to co-ordinate a multi agency response to safeguard those children at risk from harm. Support to children and families will be accessed through a social worker within the Children’s Assessment and Safeguarding Service who as well as immediate intervention, will assess, monitor, review and provide services to children in need, looked after children and children in need of protection.
The aims are to:
- Provide social care services for children in North East Lincolnshire who require support or protection in order to meet their full potential
- Carry out assessments and provide services in accordance with national standards
- Wherever possible, we support children within their own families
- Investigate child protection concerns and work closely with other agencies to ensure children are safeguarded
- Work with service users to agreed outcomes wherever possible
- Seek permanency for children who cannot live with their birth families
- Work in partnership with colleagues from health, education, police, North East Lincolnshire Council, private and voluntary organisations to provide positive outcomes for all children
Out of hours service
CASS also run the Out of Hours Service, which you can contact on 01472 325555. This service is an EMERGENCY ONLY service open from 5.00pm - 8.30am. Please only contact the Out of Hours Service if you have a concern where by a child is at immediate risk of harm and the call cannot wait until the following morning when a Social Worker from CASS will be available to take your call.