Following a complaint from a tenant of outstanding repairs to a property we will, under the Housing Act 2004:
- Arrange for a Housing Renewal Officer to visit the property and inspect it in line with the Housing Health and Safety Rating System
- Notify the tenant and the landlord of the outcome of the inspection
- Serve legal notices including timescales on the landlord to undertake the repairs to the property, if the hazards found are considered to be harmful to the tenant. In some cases the notice will be include a charge for letting a property in poor condition.
If the landlord doesn’t comply with a notice, further action can be taken. This can include the Council carrying out the repairs and charging this back to the landlord.
We cannot help with:
- Pest control (North East Lincolnshire Council does not have a pest control department)
- Rubbish/fly tipping (please see the Environment Section of the website or call 01472 324770)
- Landlord behaviour (please contact Citizens Advice/Police/Solicitor)
- Tenant behaviour (please contact Citizens Advice/Police/Solicitor)
For further information please see the Enforcement Policy.