Working together is essential to combat burglary
Safer and Stronger Communities brings all the responsible authorities and agencies together to help reduce burglaries in your area. We also offer crime prevention advice and support for victims.
Reduce the risk!
Be aware that you’re much less likely to be a victim of burglary if you take easy but effective steps to secure your home.
Households with no security measures in place are 10 times more likely to be burgled than those with such simple security measures as window locks and deadlocks.
The more secure your property, the less likely it is you will be burgled. Top tips to deter the burglars:
- Restrict access to your back garden by having a solid fence and lockable gate
- Always lock your doors and windows, even when just popping to the shops (or even when in the back garden)
- Fit deadlocks to all outside doors - burglars hate them because you need a key to open them from the inside as well as the outside
- Put key operated locks on all downstairs or accessible windows - burglars don't like having to smash windows because of the noise and the danger of cutting themselves
- Try to make sure your TV, DVD etc and other valuables can't be seen through your windows
- Use a timer switch to turn lights and radios on when you are out or away to give the impression that your house is occupied
- Install a visible burglar alarm - and turn it on especially over night
Beat the bogus callers
‘Distraction burglars’, or bogus callers, will distract you in order to get into your home to steal your money or belongings. If anyone you don’t know turns up at your door, you should always ask to see their identification before letting them in.
Unfortunately, the elderly are especially vulnerable, but we are working with Age Concern, Help the Aged and the police to ensure they don’t fall victim to this particularly unpleasant crime.
Is your home secure?
If you are concerned about your home security please contact the Safer Homes Service who will be able to visit and assess your security needs. They will also try to improve your home security there and then by fitting additional locks or other devices.
For more information or to book a visit please call the Service on 01472 324974 or 01472 323730 or visit their website.
Burglary in North East Lincolnshire
Safer and Stronger Communities has made great progress in the fight to tackle burglary throughout the borough. We are working hard to make sure that you and your belongings are safe but we need your help - by keeping your doors and windows locked so that burglars aren't given a chance.
The partnership has worked hard to achieve reductions in domestic burglary. Tactics have included focusing on our most prolific offenders, posting 'hairy hands' through doors and windows that have been left open and using technology like Bluetooth to get messages in the hotspots.
However, the reductions are not only down to the partnership - the public have played their part and, by helping us, we have been able to help them.