An ambitious arts project is being launched in the heart of Grimsby’s market.
Our Big Picture, an organisation bringing art into public places, has recently received £120,000 of funding from Arts Council England, North East Lincolnshire Council and Engie.
Market Central will host a two-year project featuring a range of arts and crafts activities including:
- Art in the Cart – a wooden cart featuring commissioned art installations
- Makers bays in the Market’s entrance promoting art
- Performance space for aspiring and professional musicians
- A resident artist, Grimsby’s Terry Clarke
- Art exhibitions
- Children and adult arts and crafts workshops
- Craft demonstrations
- Vintage fairs
- Buskers and live music
A two-day launch event is being held to celebrate this unique art project on Friday 24 and Sunday 25 August, at 9am to 5pm.
- Friday 24 August, 9am to 5pm – free family arts and crafts workshop and live music from Lucy Everett, Josh England and Joe Townfall.
- Saturday 25 August, 9am to 5pm – Meet Ian Kirkpatrick, the Canadian artist has exhibited work all over the world. Learn more about his work and make your own mini 3D sculpture
Cllr Gaynor Rogers, portfolio holder for Culture said: “These activities are a great way of bringing art into public spaces. I’m very excited to see where it will lead, and the wonderful and inspiring work that will come from it.”
Future activities include drop-in craft workshops for all ages, live music, pop up art installations and family drop-in sessions with Ian Kirkpatrick and the Our Big Picture team, who will be teaching a range of arts and crafts techniques.
Paula Denton, creative and management director of Our Big Picture said: “It has been a privilege to work with the local people as well as the market team to shape this into a successful funding bid to realise this for the town.
“We all want to see this unique space become an arts and makers focal point within the town centre for everyone, but especially for families. We want to inspire imaginations and conversations, drawing on the local desire and willingness to creatively engage, a space to explore ‘sense of place’”
For more information about the projects and activities, or for more information about Grimsby Top Town Market contact the Market Office by email email@example.com or call (01472) 325836.
Art in the Market is being led by Our Big Picture in partnership with North East Lincolnshire Council and their regeneration partner Engie.