Changes to Housing Benefit
Following a recent ruling there are some changes happening to Housing Benefit from 1 April 2017 which may positively affect some of our customers.
Housing Benefit regulations are being changed to allow an extra bedroom for Housing Benefit (HB) claimants:
- when a disabled child or disabled non-dependant adult reasonably requires, and has, overnight care from a non-resident carer (or group of carers) and is in receipt of a specified disability benefit; and
- in respect of a disabled couple, when a Local Authority is satisfied that a couple cannot reasonably share a bedroom as a result of a member of the couple’s disability and that member is in receipt of a specified disability benefit.
The disabled child or non-dependant adult must be in receipt of:
- middle or higher rate care component of Disability Living Allowance (DLA)
- Attendance Allowance (AA);
- the daily living component of Personal Independence Payment (PIP); or
- the Armed Forces Independence Payment (AFIP).
There may be a small number of claims where the disabled child or non-dependant adult is not in receipt of one of these benefits but has overnight care. In these cases, we must decide that the person requires overnight care and may ask for sufficient evidence and information to be provided in order to make this decision. This could be, for example, a letter from a GP or other medical professional.
These regulations apply whether you rent from a private landlord or a social landlord.
If you live in a house with an extra bedroom which is not supported by housing benefit, or you feel your life would be improved by moving to a property which would have an extra bedroom and you think your circumstances mean you may fall into the above categories, please telephone the Housing Benefit team to see if there is any further financial support which we can provide.
Benefits Team (telephone and postal enquiries only), Local Taxation and Benefits, Municipal Offices, Town Hall Square, Grimsby, North East Lincolnshire, DN31 1HU
Telephone: 01472 326287 option 2
Telephone opening times: Monday to Friday 8.30 am to 5.00 pm except bank holidays