North East Lincolnshire Council

Get help with your housing costs

You can apply for extra help if you are already receiving Housing Benefit or Council Tax support (or both) and the amount of benefit you receive does not cover the amount you have to pay.

Discretionary housing payment fund

Help with housing costs payments can be made to you if your housing benefit or the house element of your Universal Credit does not cover your full rent charge and you have to up the difference. In exceptional circumstances, we can also use money from the fund to help you pay rent in advance to move into a new property.
Payments are only made for a limited time to customers experiencing financial difficulties.

A payment cannot be larger than the difference between your housing benefit or the housing element of your universal credit and the total rent you have to pay.

The benefits team consider every application individually, taking into account your totally household income, your savings, any special circumstances (such as illness or disability) and whether you are able to rearrange your finances. A decision will then be made on whether to make an award and how much it will be.

Discretionary housing payments are made with your housing benefit (if you receive it), whether the payment goes to you or directly to your landlord. If you are in receipt of universal credit the payment will be sent to you from North East Lincolnshire  and not with your universal credit payment.

2018 payments

2018 payment runs for DHP payments for Universal Credit recipients:

Run date/Send to BACS                                Credit Accounts on
26/04/2018 30/04/2018
29/05/2018 31/05/2018
27/06/2018 29/06/2018
27/07/2018 30/07/2018
26/08/2018 30/08/2018
26/09/2018 28/09/2018
29/10/2018 31/10/2018
28/11/2018 30/11/2018
27/12/2018 31/12/2018
29/01/2019 31/01/2019
26/02/2019 28/02/2019
27/03/2019 29/03/2019

Council Tax Support Fund

This fund has been put in place to help customers receiving Council Tax support who need further help when they receive an increased Council Tax bill.

A Council Tax support payment cannot be more than the difference between the amount of Council Tax support you are entitled to, and the amount you actually have to pay.

If you are awarded additional support from this fund it will be paid directly in to your council tax account, a new bill will be provided which outlines the extra help you have received, and any new payment plan which you must follow.

Benefits Team (telephone and postal enquiries only), Local Taxation and Benefits, Municipal Offices, Town Hall Square, Grimsby, North East Lincolnshire, DN31 1HU


Telephone: 0300 3030164 option 3

Telephone opening times: Monday to Friday 9 am to 4:30 pm, except bank holidays