Terms and conditions – ceremony bookings
Terms and conditions of booking a civil ceremony in North East Lincolnshire
North East Lincolnshire Registration and Celebratory Services (NELRCS).
Your ceremony booking is accepted on the condition that:-
• No legal impediment to the marriage or civil partnership exists and legal preliminaries are completed within the statutory time limits
• Any foreign divorce / dissolution papers are accepted by the Registrar General where applicable
• Home Office permission is granted where applicable
• Booking confirmation / ceremony fee
A booking fee is payable at the time of initial booking and is completely non-refundable. If you book your ceremony more than one year in advance, an additional fee is payable to allow the date and time to be held for longer. This is also non-refundable.
Upon receipt of a completed legal notice of intention to marry or form a civil partnership it is deemed that you have fully accepted all terms and conditions of booking.
(Register Office, Croft Baker Ceremony Room and Council Chamber ONLY) Your booking offers you a 45 minute time slot, including arrival time prior to the ceremony (please see terms and conditions for late arrival). Another party may be arriving for their ceremony after you and you may be requested to move to allow the next party to enter the building.
For ceremonies in the Council Chamber on a Saturday afternoon, Sunday or Bank Holiday you are requested to have left the building no more than one hour after the allocated ceremony time.
If all fees paid and at least eight weeks notice given in writing by both parties then 75% of fees* will be refunded.
If all fees paid and at least six weeks notice given in writing by both parties then 50% of fees* will be refunded.
If all fees paid and less than six weeks notice given in writing by both parties then all fees are forfeited as ceremony cannot be reallocated.
Your booking may be cancelled by NELRCS if fees have not been paid in full eight weeks prior to the date of your ceremony (approved premise ceremonies only).
If you or your witnesses arrive more than ten minutes late after the allocated ceremony time, the Register Office staff reserve the right to re-arrange your ceremony for a different time and / or date.
A booking is accepted for a gazebo / outside structure on condition that
- The ceremony date is between 1 April and 30 September
- The venue must agree and reserve an alternative ceremony room for your use in case the ceremony needs to be conducted indoors
- The NELRCS staff shall make the final decision on the day of the ceremony as to whether it is safe and dignified to conduct the ceremony in the gazebo
You can write additional words to be used during your ceremony but these must be agreed with the SR at NELRCS no later than 14 days prior to your ceremony.
It is the responsibility of the couple to ensure they have two credible witnesses at the ceremony. The witnesses must be over the age of 16. The witnesses sign the register to confirm they have heard both parties state, in full, the declaratory and contracting words.
The NELRCS will allocate staff to attend your ceremony and reserves the right to substitute other experienced and qualified staff in case of sickness or other unforeseen circumstances on the day.
For fire, safety and comfort if the number of guests exceeds the capacity of the room some guests may be excluded from the ceremony.
The NELRCS will not accept liability for:
- The failure of any music system, provided by the venue, you or a third party
- Any delay or loss caused by your late or non-arrival
- Any loss caused by a request from you or your representatives to delay the ceremony
- Any loss or compensation where a ceremony / registration is stopped from proceeding because (a) it would be void if it went ahead, (b) an offence under the Marriage or Civil Partnership Acts would be committed and (c) it would be against the public interest
- Any decision to delay the ceremony is at the discretion of the staff attending on the day
The NELRCS will endeavour to perform your ceremony / registration on your chosen day. We strongly recommend that you take out ceremony insurance to cover losses or expenses incurred in the case of events outside our control. Any reference to working days does not include Saturday, Sunday, Bank or Public Holidays.
Approval of the venue is granted only in connection with the provision of ceremonies. The NELRCS cannot accept liability for the failure or neglect on behalf of the venue for the use or provision of any services and / or facilities. Any complaint or claim must be made in writing to the NELRCS within 21 working days of the ceremony.
Any reference in these conditions the Registration Service shall also refer to the NELC in so far as they relate to its legal responsibilities and obligations. Other words and phrases shall be interpreted as follows:-
Marriage & Civil Partnership Acts – means the Acts of Parliament (any regulations made under those Acts) covering the legal preliminaries to, the solemnization and registration of a civil marriage / civil partnership either in a Register Office or approved premises within England and Wales.
Venue – means approved premises approved by NELC under the Civil Marriages and Civil Partnerships (approved premises) Regulations 2005 for the solemnization and registration of civil marriages and civil partnerships
Registration and Celebratory Service, Cleethorpes Town Hall, Cleethorpes, North East Lincolnshire, DN35 8LN
Telephone: 01472 326295 – option 2
Opening times: Monday to Friday 9 am to 12 noon and 1 pm to 4 pm except bank holidays
Access for wheelchair users is available to the rear of Cleethorpes Town Hall