North East Lincolnshire Council

How to register a stillbirth

Please accept our sincere condolences on your loss. We realise that this is a very difficult time for you.

Here you will find information and guidance to help you through the registration process for your child. However if you would prefer to speak to a Registrar personally, please telephone the register office on 01472 326295 – option 1.

The stillbirth and neonatal death society are a charitable organisation that offer help, support and advice to bereaved parents and their families. They can provide local and national contacts.

What is a stillbirth?

A stillborn child is a child born after the 24th week of pregnancy who did not breathe or show any other signs of life. When a child is stillborn the midwife or doctor will issue a medical certificate of stillbirth which is required for registration.

A stillbirth should be registered within 42 days.

Where do you register a stillbirth?

A stillbirth which has taken place within North East Lincolnshire should be registered with us.

An appointment is required to register – please telephone 01472 324861 Monday to Friday 9 am to 4 pm except bank holidays

Who can register?

If the natural parents are married to one another, or were married at the time of conception, then either parent may attend to register.

If the natural parents are not married to one another and the fathers details are to be recorded on the stillbirth certificate, both parents should attend. If this is not possible, one parent can make a statutory declaration acknowledging parentage but there is a statutory form to use that you obtain from the registrar. If you wish to do this please contact us on 01472 324861 for more information.

If the parents are civil partners and had formed their legal civil partnership prior to the assisted conception of the child, then either parent may attend to register.

For same sex couples who are not civil partners but had entered into a parenthood agreement prior to assisted conception at an approved fertility clinic within the United Kingdom, if the second parents details are to be recorded on the stillbirth certificate, both parents should attend.

Although in most circumstances the parents attend to register the stillbirth, if this is not possible the law does permit for certain other people to register. They are:

  • The occupier of the house or hospital were the still-birth took place
  • Someone who was present at the still-birth
  • A person who is responsible for the still-born child

We would suggest that if the parents are unable to register the still-birth, you contact the register office to discuss the individual circumstances.

What documents do I need to register a stillbirth?

The medical certificate issued by the midwife or doctor.

What information will the registrar ask me for?

The registrar will require the following information:

  • The date and place of the stillbirth
  • The forenames and surname that the parents may wish to name their child
  • The sex of the child

If the fathers details are to be recorded on the stillbirth certificate:

  • Forenames and surname
  • Date and place of birth
  • Occupation

For the mother we need:

  • Forenames and surname
  • Maiden surname (if applicable)
  • Date and place of birth
  • Occupation
  • Usual address at the time of the stillbirth

For married parents, we also require:

  • Date of the marriage
  • Number of previous children born to present husband or any former husband

You will receive these documents after registration

  • A certificate for burial or cremation – this is required by the funeral director
  • A certificate of registration – this certificate is proof of registration and shows the date of the stillbirth and any names given to the child
  • A stillbirth certificate – a certified copy of all the details held in the register is also available

Please note: within England and Wales a fee is usually charged for the stillbirth certificate however, North East Lincolnshire Council waive this charge if you decide to request this at the time of registration.  Parents may obtain a copy of the certificate at a later date but a fee will be payable

Can I obtain a stillbirth certificate at a later date?

Due to the sensitive nature of a stillbirth registration, the procedure for ordering and obtaining certificates differs from birth, death and marriage certificates. With the exception of very recent stillbirth registration, all records are held at the general register office and not at the local register office. The records date back to the 1 July 1927.

Certified copies of stillbirth registration’s may only be obtained by the registrar general’s consent and the following conditions apply:

  • Only the natural parents of the still-born child will be issued with the certificate
  • Siblings of the stillborn child may apply if both the parents are deceased. The names, dates and places of death for both parents will be required

Further information may be obtained by contacting  the general register office

General register office, Southport, PR8 2WJ

Telephone 0845 6037788

More information is available at

Financial support and taking time off work

Following a stillbirth, you’re normally entitled to:

Statutory maternity pay – if you’re employed
Maternity allowance – if you’re not entitled to statutory maternity pay
Maternity leave – if you’re employed
Statutory paternity pay – if you’re employed
Paternity leave – if you’re employed

Registration and Celebratory Service, Cleethorpes Town Hall, Cleethorpes, North East Lincolnshire, DN35 8LN


Telephone: 01472 326295 – option 2

Opening times: Monday to Friday 9 am to 4 pm except bank holidays

Access for wheelchair users is available to the rear of Cleethorpes Town Hall