Skip to main content

Legally change your name

You can legally change your name without an official record. For your new name to appear on your driving licence, passport or bank account then you need to apply for a change of statutory declaration.

Your birth certificate won’t change but you must keep it. It’s important that your birth certificate and change of name deed are kept together.

Before you start

You must be a British citizen and over the the age of 16. Your chosen name must not be rude or offensive, used with the intent to defraud or create the impression of an inherited or awarded title such as Sir, Dame, Lord or Lady.

To change your name by statutory declaration you must provide evidence of your current name and address.

Prove your name:

  • Valid UK or EEA passport


  • full birth certificate
  • bank statement or utility bill dated within 1 month of your appointment

Prove your address:

  • Current driving licence


  • bank or building society statement
  • utility bill dated within 1 month of your appointment
  • most recent council tax bill

You must book an appointment at the register office to change your name. It will take approximately 30 minutes and you must bring your evidence and a completed statutory declaration form. Your application will be verified and processed during the appointment. You will be issued with two officially stamped and signed Change of Name Deeds and your new name can be officially recognised.


  • Appointment booking fee – £35
  • Change of Name Deed certificate issued at appointment – £11
  • Change of Name Deed certificate issued after appointment (within 10 years) – £11

Contact details

North East Lincolnshire Register Office, Cleethorpes Town Hall, Knoll Street, Cleethorpes, North East Lincolnshire, DN35 8LN


Telephone: 01472 326295

Opening times: Monday to Friday, 9am to 4pm, except bank holidays