North East Lincolnshire Council

SEN Health | Social, emotional and mental health

Young Minds Matter is an emotional wellbeing and mental health service for children and young people in North East Lincolnshire. The service focusses on prevention, early intervention and building a resilient community.

Based at Freshney Green the multi-disciplinary team can help with a range of mental health and emotional wellbeing problems.

What we do

We provide emotional wellbeing advice and specialist mental health services for children and young people up to the age of 19 (25 if receiving support for special educational needs and disability –  SEND). These services are designed to help with a wide range of emotional wellbeing and mental health needs including:

  • Anxiety
  • Mood related disorders such as depression and bipolar
  • Trauma
  • Eating disorders
  • Self harm
  • Mental health difficulties associated with a physical health problem

We have some pathways where we accept referrals via a multiagency panel, not from our usual sources of referrals. These are:

  • Children in public care
  • Young people displaying harmful sexual behaviour
  • Assessment for autistic spectrum condition and Asperger’s syndrome
  • Assessment and if necessary medication management for Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD)

More information is available from the Young Minds Matter website.

This service monitors all children’s speech and language during early childhood. The Speech & Language Therapists work in a range of settings including clinics, special and mainstream schools, nurseries, homes and hospitals as appropriate.

For those children who have on-going difficulties with speech and language, the therapists can continue to work with young people up until the age of 19 years (for children with special needs) or 16 years for children in mainstream schooling. The frequency and level of support may vary, as the child’s needs change.

We see children aged 3-17 years for assessment and therapy. We see children at the following location: Child Development Centre, community setting, hospital clinics and see babies and children with eating and drinking difficulties from Birth. The children might be seen in their Home, on the ward or at the Child Development Centre.

Speech and Language Therapy (SLT) helps children and young people with:

  • Listening to and making different speech sounds
  • understanding spoken language
  • putting words together and/or making sentences
  • voice (such as persistent hoarseness)
  • stammering
  • social communication skills
  • eating and drinking difficulties
  • a mix of any of these

Children with all speech and language problems can be referred by parents, health visitors, schools, GP, and pediatricians.

Please see our website: or contact our Department (01472 302591) for a copy of the referral form.

Occupational Therapy and Physiotherapy within North East Lincolnshire helps children and young people to participate as fully as possible in daily activities.

Occupational Therapists help children and young people to carry out the things they need or want to do in areas of self-care, school, work and play. They work with children and young people between the ages of 0 and 19 years who have difficulties or a disability, which affect their ability to carry out everyday tasks.

Children’s Physiotherapists are responsible for the assessment and physical rehabilitation of children needing treatment due to disability, accident, injury or disease. Children’s physiotherapists have generic skills as physiotherapists and also additional knowledge and experience of child development and of childhood conditions.

Treatment is based upon an assessment of the child’s needs and the formation of individual treatment programmes. The physiotherapists use a range of approaches that are individually tailored to each child’s needs. This may include exercise programmes, postural management, mobility aids and other specialist equipment.

Children’s physiotherapy covers a wide range of clinical practice and conditions, which affect physical skills, function and development:

  • Neurological conditions, e.g. Cerebral Palsy, Head Injury
  • Neuromuscular disorders, e.g. Muscular Dystrophy
  • Developmental delay
  • Rheumatological conditions, e.g. Juvenile Idiopathic Arthritis
  • Congenital disorders, e.g. Spina Bifida, Talipes, Torticollis, Plagiocephaly
  • Orthopaedic conditions, e.g. Fractures and injuries
  • Congenital syndromes and metabolic diseases
  • Conditions where mobility and function may be effected, e.g. Oncology
  • Post-operative rehabilitation
  • General musculoskeletal complaints such as joint hypermobility

A Health visitor, School Nurse, GP or Pediatrician, can refer children with Physiotherapy or Occupational Therapy needs. Please see our website on: for further details, or Fiona Clawson and Sarah Howard, Diana, Princess of Wales Hospital Tel: 01472 302591

The School Nursing Service offers an Enuresis Clinic for all children aged 7 years and above. There are four clinics spread across North East Lincolnshire and they run once a month from 9 to 5 pm, depending on the clinic.

The support, assessment and treatment offered is tailored to the circumstances and needs of the child or young person with the aim of helping them to stop wetting the bed at night.

The clinic offers:

  • Appropriate advice is given on the first appointment with a detailed history and assessment undertaken;
  • Basic background work, such as fluid correction and the identification of underlying problems can be identified from the assessment. The level of motivation and environmental problems are identified early;
  • Leaflets are given to assist families understand why enuresis occurs and the treatment options;
  • Dependent on the assessment, the family will be given information on medication, alarms and bladder training to try and assist the child to become dry at night;

You can refer your child by GP, Practice Nurse or Pediatrician, Health Visitor or School Nurse, Children’s Centre or school, or parents can refer themselves by contacting the service directly.