North East Lincolnshire Council

Support for children and young people

Find out the support and information available for special educational needs and local offer for children and young people. Details of the teams and services involved can be seen in the expandable sections below.

Development of Speech and Language

Children can develop at different rates, so it can be helpful to have some general guidelines about what to look for, and the following websites might be helpful

Talking Point can give you an idea of what to expect as your child develops.

Don’t forget that all new parents are issued with a “red book’ that is a good general source of information on children’s development. If you cannot find your red book you can access an electronic version on the website.

The Communication Trust provides some information and resources for parents.

The British Stammering Association provides help and information regarding stammering.

Concerns about development of speech and language – under 5 years of age

If you have any concerns about your child’s speech and language, the following people are a good first point of contact.

  • Your health visitor
  • A member of staff at your local family hub. To find your local family hub go to our Family hubs page.
  • Your nursery provider

They can talk with you about your concerns and start to assess what support if any might help. This support might be available at the family hub, or in some cases could be from other services including specialist speech and language therapists.

Concerns about development of speech and language – over 5 years of age

Where your child is school age and you have concerns a good first port of call is their school. The school will talk with you about your concerns and help identify what support if any might help. This support might be services provided by school staff, or in some cases could be from other services including specialist speech and language therapists.

Please note that parents cannot refer their child to specialist Speech and Language therapists themselves. A referral is made to the specialist therapists health visitors, family hubs or schools once appropriate assessments have been made.

Question or concerns while your child is receiving speech and language support or therapy

If you have questions about the support your child is receiving please talk firstly to the person who is providing that support. They will listen to your questions and try to help.

If you have a concern about the speech and language support that your child is receiving, the first person to talk to is again the person providing the support. If they are not able to resolve your concern, they will be able to advise you how to make a formal complaint as different organisations have their own processes.

If the speech and language support is being provided by council staff or an organisation working for the council, you may be able to use the councils own complaints process, if you are unsure please contact our complaints team.

Current Specialist Speech and Language Therapy Service

Our current speech and language therapy provider is Northern Lincolnshire and Goole NHS Foundation Trust who are based at the Diana Princess of Wales hospital in Grimsby.

The service managers are Sarah Howard and Fiona Clawson.

Independent Advice and Support

There are two local independent organisations that may be able to provide information and support with your queries as follows

North East Lincolnshire Parent Participation Forum (NELPPF)

Special Educational Needs and Disabilities Information Advice and Support Service (SENDIASS)

Speech and Language Therapy (SALT) Service Consultation

The current specialist therapy service is in the process of  being re-commissioned, and as part of that we have already asked families for feedback. There will be another opportunity before the end of 2017 for families to give feedback, and this will be advertised here as well as our Have your say page.

Communication and Interaction

The local authority specialist Communication and Interaction Service working together with Barnardo’s Autism Outreach Service.

All requests for Advice and Support from Outreach Services for Autism should be sent by schools via email at

Any queries, please contact Jane Razagui on 01472 355365 or Judith Kilvington on 01472 355 365.

Specialist Advisory Teachers for Cognition and Learning

Mainstream Key Stage Team: Tel: 01472 323172

Contacts: Sharon Gest and Josephine Cooper


This small team of Specialist Teachers provide educational guidance and advice to schools for Children and Young People with the most severe and complex Special Educational needs. They offer guidance on the SEN Code of Practice and advice on how schools can best meet the learning needs of children through high quality teaching, adaptations, effective interventions and a graduated approach.

The team also includes two further Specialist Teachers who are highly experienced in the areas of Communication and Interaction and Social, Emotional and Mental Health.

The team is committed to finding innovative ways to help schools remove barriers to learning, in order to best teach Children and Young People with SEN. They also provide support and guidance on whole school management of SEN to SENCOs.

When a Child or Young Person is referred for learning support by a school, the Specialist Advisory Teacher will seek engagement from parents with a view to close collaboration. A person-centred approach is central to the work of the team.

Our Family hubs are inclusive for all, which includes support for children with additional needs. For information on activities and support available go to our Family Hubs page.

For more information about the service go to our Children’s Disability Service (CDS) page.

Home Tuition Service

The Home Tuition Service provides temporary educational support for children and young people who are unable to attend school for medical or health reasons.

We offer this service as per the Department for Education’s (DFE) statutory guidance on ‘Ensuring a good education for children who cannot attend school because of health needs’.

Read the – Health Needs Guidance (PDF)

Our duty is to all children and young people who would normally attend mainstream schools, including academies, free schools, independent schools and special schools, or where a child or young person is not on the roll of a school. It applies equally whether a child cannot attend school at all or can only attend intermittently.

The role and responsibilities of the local authority are:

  • Local authorities are responsible for arranging suitable full-time education for children of compulsory school age who, because of illness, would not receive suitable education without such provision.
  • The law does not define full-time education but children with health needs should have provision which is equivalent to the education they would receive in school. If they receive one-to-one tuition, for example, the hours of face-to-face provision could be fewer as the provision is more concentrated.
  • Where full-time education would not be in the best interests of a particular child because of reasons relating to their physical or mental health, local authorities should provide part-time education on a basis they consider to be in the child’s best interests. Full and part-time education should still aim to achieve good academic attainment particularly in English, Maths and Science.

The Home Tuition Service provides temporary educational support for children and young people who are unable to attend school for medical reasons, however there are circumstances where our intervention would not be required. Such circumstances are:

  • Where the child or young person can still attend school with some support
  • Where the school/academy has made arrangements to deliver suitable education for the child or young person
  • Where arrangements have been made for the child or young person to be educated in a hospital by an on-site hospital school.

How do children and young people access Home Tuition support?

Home tuition is usually for children and young people who cannot go to school because they are ill and have been away from school for more than 15 days. For the first 15 days of absence, your child’s school/academy will provide work to be done at home.

Home tuition is not a substitute for school attendance and will not normally be provided if a child has been excluded or has general attendance problems.

Schools/academies (and or local authority SEND services / medical services when the child/young person is new to the area and or not on a school roll) in discussion with relevant parents/carers can request for a child/young person to access the Home Tuition Service.

When will support start?

Parents/carers are usually asked to provide evidence from a consultant of the need for alternative provision arrangements such as home education. Once it has been identified that alternative provision is required, arrangements should be made as quickly as possible to appropriately meet the needs of the child or young person.

Arrangements for provision should begin as soon as it is clear that an absence will last more than 15 days. Where an absence is planned, for example for a stay or recurrent stays in hospital, arrangements should be made in advance to allow provision to begin from day one.

With planned hospital admissions, teachers who will be teaching the child should be given as much forewarning as possible, including the likely admission date and expected length of stay. This allows them to liaise with the child’s school about the programme to be followed while the child is in hospital.

Regard must be given to any medical advice offered by the hospital when they discharge a child, as to how much education will be appropriate for them after discharge, when they might be ready to return to school and whether they should initially return to school on a part-time basis only.

Returning to school

All children and young people access support from the Home Tuition service in the knowledge that their ultimate goal should be to return to school on a phased return basis if required as soon as their health permits such.

Most children and young people are able to return to full time education in their original school setting once they have recovered from the health or medical issues.  Following consultation with the child or young person, parent/carer, school/academy and service tutor an individual programme of gradual reintegration will be arranged and tailored to the child/young person’s needs. Home Tuition tutors often provide tuition sessions on the school site or in-class support, as a means of assisting adjustment back to a school environment.

Who provides home tuition in our local area?

Our Home Tuition Service for children and young people with medical needs is a commissioned service provided by Wellspring Academy Trust at Sevenhills Academy.

How should educational support be requested for a child/young person that is not able to attend school due for more than 15 days to medical needs?

Parents and carers should discuss their child’s medical needs with their current school/academy to find out what support can be provided by them.  If the child or young person has special education needs (SEN) and is in receipt of an education health and care plan (EHCP) the school/academy can, if required, contact the local authority’s Special Educational Needs Assessment and Review Team (SENART) to arrange a review meeting.

Parents/carers of children and young people with SEN that need further information or advice can always contact our Special Educational Needs Assessment and Review Team (SENART).


Telephone: 01472 323166

Opening times: Monday to Thursday 8.30 am to 5 pm and Friday 8.30 am to 4.30 pm (except bank holidays)

North East Lincolnshire Community Educational Psychology Service

If you are a young person in need of some help at school then please go to Educational Psychology – Support for young people to find out more.

For parents and carers of young people in need of support go to Educational Psychology – Support for parents and carers.

For information about the support available to schools and education settings go to Educational Psychology – Support for schools and education settings.

Contact details

Telephone: 01472 323183 and 01472 323314

Contact: Ellie Triantafyllou (Principal Educational Psychologist)


We are the Educational Team for Hearing and Vision (ETHV). We offer a wide range of services to support children and young people who have been diagnosed with hearing and/or vision loss from birth to leaving school. To find out if we can support you, go to our Hearing and vision page.

Nationally, Autistic Spectrum Condition (ASC) remains the most common primary type of need for pupils with a statement or Education Health and Care plan.

In the beginning

Some families begin by suspecting that their child may have Autism as they are displaying ASC type behaviours. For many children and young people Autism is not the root cause of their communication and interaction needs.

In North East Lincolnshire we have a communication and interaction pathway that helps families, with the support of other agencies, to determine what works best to support their child and help them achieve.

Children and Young People aged 5 to 16

  1. Parents who worry that their son or daughter are displaying Autistic type behaviours can talk to the Special Educational Needs Co-ordinator (SENCo) at their child’s school or setting. If parents or carers need support to talk to their child’s school they can ring Special Educational Needs and Disabilities Independent Advisory Support Service (SENDIAS) Tel: 01472 355365. A SENDIASS worker will be able to accompany parents/carers to meetings with school and help with any questions.
  1. The school SENCo can ask for support from our Specialist Support Service Teacher for ASC who works alongside SEND Outreach Service. Their role is to support mainstream schools across the local area providing them with advice and strategies to teaching and learning, to meet the needs of pupils displaying Autistic type behaviours. No diagnosis is required to access the service. School SENCOs  refer to this service. The school will be contacted within a week of receipt of the referral form.
  1. The school SENCO will work with parents to complete an observation checklist (Word). This will help identify the child or young person’s needs. The school with then be assigned a communication and interaction specialist who can offer support.
  1. The school, parents, SEND Outreach Service and the young person will then meet and decide together the outcomes they would like to achieve. A programme of support is then put in place and reviewed after an agreed period of time. ASSESS, PLAN, DO, REVIEW.
  1. If this graduated approach is not having an impact, a Single Assessment might be made.
  2. For more information please contact

You can also find more advice on the Autism Society website.


SEND Outreach Team Process Map (PDF)

NE Lincolnshire Council & CCG has commissioned a new resource in North East Lincolnshire to support Young People with their emotional and mental health and wellbeing: is a safe, confidential and non-stigmatized way for young people to receive free counselling, advice and support on-line.  This very popular service is used by large numbers of young people across the country and delivers 1000s of counselling sessions each year.  Staffed by fully trained and qualified counsellors and available until 10pm each night, and weekends from 6pm – 10pm, 365 days per year, it provides a much needed confidential and instant access service for young people aged 11-25.

This includes:

  • A chat function for a young person to drop in to speak to a readily available counsellor
  • A messaging function for young people to contact the service
  • A schedule function to provide booked sessions with a named counsellor on a regular basis
  • A range of forums, all of which are pre-moderated, to offer facilitated peer support for CYP.
  • Live discussion groups – run by professionals (with all comments moderated) to enable groups of CYP to interact with each other in a safe environment
  • An online magazine with full content moderation, creation and editing which includes opportunities for CYP to submit their stories or write articles, all of which is moderated
  • Information, activities and self-care tools and resources on the site for CYP to download.

Short break services provides a domiciliary care service to children diagnosed with a disability or complex health problems, aged from 0 to 18 years, and their families.

Cromwell House offers respite care for children who have a disability.

Cambridge Bungalow and Cromwell Bungalow provides full time residential care for Children aged 5-18 who have additional needs such as learning difficulties and may also have physical disabilities.

You can find more information at our Short breaks and residential support services page.

What is the access pathway?

The Access Pathway is a single route for those children and young people up to 19 years where support has already been accessed and tried but further specialist intervention or assessment may be required.

This includes children and young people with needs across:

  • speech
  • language and communication
  • social interaction
  • learning difficulties
  • sensory difficulties
  • neurodevelopmental difficulties

You may also see social, emotional and mental health difficulties alongside these.

How to find the referral form

In order to make a referral to the Access Pathway a referral form and contact form should be submitted. Referrals should be completed jointly with the parent/carer and child/young person and led by a professional who knows the child/young person the best.

This should also ensure that a clear picture is provided of the child and family’s worries and concerns as well as what strategies and interventions have been tried. For example if the child/young person is in education setting, it is likely that the author/lead professional completing the referral will be a SENCO from a nursery or school.

The required forms are available on the Safer NEL website. For further guidance please see the Access Pathway documents below.

If you have any queries during this process please contact


Access Pathway – Support Whilst You Wait (PDF)

Specialist screening, assessment and diagnostic performance data – Over 5s for ASD and ADHD (PDF)

Appeals and feedback process (PDF)

Access Pathway – Process explained (PDF)

Family Information Service


Telephone: 01472 326292, option one

Opening times (telephone and email enquiries): Monday to Thursday 8.30 am to 5 pm and Friday 8.30 am to 4.30 pm except bank holidays