Skip to main content

SEND: Local and national support

Find out about the support and information available for special educational needs and local offer for children and young people in North East Lincolnshire.

Parents Participation Forum

You may ask “What is Parent Participation, and why is it important that it continues in North East Lincolnshire?”

Parent and carers can help pinpoint problems frequently experienced by families with disabled children. This knowledge is useful to professionals to help them improve how services are delivered, so they better fit family’s needs.

With successful parent participation both parents and professionals work together recognising each other’s specific knowledge and therefore informed decisions are made which make the best use of people’s time and money.

With cuts that are being made to services and money tight for those that survive, it is vitally important that local parent and carers get involved with crucial decisions being made to ensure that what money there is available is spent wisely to best benefit disabled children and their families.

The North East Lincolnshire Parent Participation Forum (NELPPF) is the local opportunity for parent/carer(s) to have their voices heard and help influence local decisions that may affect their families.

The Forum meet on a regular basis at the North East Lincolnshire Carers Centre, 1 Town Hall Square, Grimsby. All parents and carers are welcome. For further information contact us on the following.

Contact details

Website –

Email –

Telephone – 07583 474892

SENDIASS – Special Educational Needs and Disabilities information, advice and support service

North East Lincolnshire Special Educational Needs and Disabilities information, advice and support service (NEL SENDIASS) is a parent partnership service between us and Barnardo’s. The NEL SENDIASS staff work for Barnardo’s and run the service.

What we do

NEL SENDIASS provides impartial information, advice and support on matters around special educational needs and disabilities (SEND). Support is provided on a range of topics, including:

  • provision in schools
  • assessment processes
  • conversion of statements to education, health and care plans (EHCP)
  • reviews
  • transitions
  • exclusions
  • transport
  • specialist provision/support services
  • appeals
  • local policies
  • SEND code of practice

Support may be provided on a one to one or group basis according to need.

Who our service is for?

NEL SENDIASS is a free, impartial, and confidential service for parents and carers of children and young people (0 – 25) with additional needs. Children and young people with additional needs aged 0 – 25 years can also access the service for support in their own right.

How to access the service

Access the service by contacting them directly using the following details:

Telephone: 01472 355365



Information, Advice and Support Services minimum standards

The Council for disabled children have some helpful videos about the standards information, advice and support services need to meet.

Watch their videos to find out what they do, why they do it and what you can do to complain if they are not doing it:

Families First Information Service

There are many services out there locally and nationally and it can seem overwhelming narrowing down the information. You can search the Family Information Service directory which contains information for our area about groups, activities, schools and more:

If you want more information you can get in touch with our Family Information Service by email at or by phone on 01472 326292 Option 1.

Carers’ Support Service

A Carer is someone of any age who looks after a child, relative, partner or friend in need of help because they have an illness, disability, frailty or a substance misuse problem. The care they provide may be personal, emotional or supervisory and is unpaid.

The Carers’ Support Service is here to work with and support Carers in North East Lincolnshire.

Who do we support?

The Carers’ Support Service supports different groups of Carers:

  • Adult Carers – Adults caring for someone aged 18 or over
  • Young Adult Carers – Adults aged 18 to 25 who care for someone aged 18 or over
  • Young Carers – Carers under the age of 18 who care for a family member (parent, grandparent, sibling, etc.)
  • Parent Carers – Carers who provide for the additional needs of a child as a consequence of a disability or medical condition
  • Carers of someone with a substance misuse problem – Carers in this situation must be 18 or over to access support via the Carers’ Support Service

The Carers’ Support Service aims to meet the individual needs of a Carer that arise as a result of a caring role. All support via the Carers’ Support Service is available to all groups of Carers, with the exception of Young Carers.

The Carers’ Support Service works closely with the Young Carers Team within North East Lincolnshire Council. Together we ensure Young Carers are given the information, advice and support they need to reduce the impact of a Young Carers caring role. The Carers’ Support Service can register Young Carers and signpost directly to the Young Carers Team for an assessment. From age 16, Young Carers can also access specialist advice regarding benefits. To book an appointment give us a call on 01472 242277.

Carers Emergency Alert Card Leaflet (PDF)

Contact details

Telephone: 01472 242277


Website: Carers’ Support Centre

Children’s Disability Service

How to access support for a child with additional needs

If you wish to know more about what support is available for a child or young person with additional needs, please contact our Children’s Disability Service (CDS) on 01472 326292, option 1.

If you have a concern about the welfare of safety of a child, please contact the Multi Agency Safeguarding Hub on 01472 325555.

The CDS will, like Family Information Services, provide you with information about Universal Services and more specialist groups that can offer support, without the need for an assessment.

North East Lincolnshire Council have an Eligibility Criteria to access certain services for which an Assessment is needed. CDS undertake assessments of need and parents/carers of children with disabilities can ask for an assessment if the Universal Services are unable to meet their needs.

Following the assessment, a support plan will be agreed with the child and family, this may include direct provision of services of a Direct Payment.

The CDS will review the Support Plan regularly with the emphasis being on promoting inclusion, meeting identified outcomes and support the family as a whole.

Contact details


Telephone: 01472 326292, option 1.

My Autistic World App

Enhancing your independence and confidence.

A brand new way to build a profile of yourself and carry it around with you on your smartphone, in case you need to quickly share this with people.

Designed by people on the autistic spectrum, the free mobile app can give you confidence and independence whilst in the community.

  • Build a secure profile about you
  • Share it visually face-to-face
  • Access social scripts and guides
  • Log how you are feeling
  • Log your emergency contacts
  • Log things you might want people to be aware of
  • Readily accessible in times of need on your smartphone
  • Access online autism information, guidance and services

Read more about the app on the Focus adult social work website.

Sleep Tips

For sleep tips for children with Special Educational Needs and Disabilities go to the Tired Out website.

National support and useful links

There are lots of local and national support services out there but knowing where to start to look for help can feel overwhelming.

  • Social, emotional and mental health
  • Hearing and vision
  • Children’s disability service
  • Education health and care plan
  • Support for pre birth and young children
  • Support for children and young people
  • Preparing for adulthood

Financial Support

Caring for a child or young person with additional needs can mean you encounter more financial pressures. There is support out there, both locally and nationally.

  • Disability Living Allowance for children
  • Disability Living Allowance for adults
  • Personal Independence Payment
  • Personal Budgets
  • School transport
  • Motability
  • Blue Badge Scheme

Department for Education

The Humber Transforming Care Partnership (TCP)

The Humber Transforming Care Partnership (TCP), covering East Riding of Yorkshire, Hull and North East Lincolnshire, aims to ensure that individuals with diagnosed learning disabilities (LD) and autistic spectrum disorder (ASD) are supported within local communities, to avoid unnecessary in-patient mental health admissions.

The transforming care programme is a national priority that focusses on improving services for:

  • children and young people with learning disabilities, and
  • children and young people with autism, and
  • children and young people with both learning disabilities and autism

Who also have:

  • behaviours that challenge, or
  • a mental health condition

The aims of the programme are:

  • children, young people and families are supported to have a good quality of life – they are treated with respect and have an expectation of a home in their local community
  • children and young people should be kept safe but at the same time supported to take positive risks
  • children and young people should have choice and control over their lives
  • children and young people’s support should be provided in the least restrictive way
  • children and young people should get equal health outcomes to the rest of the population

We are committed to making sure that children and young people with a learning disability, autism or both have the right to the same opportunities as anyone else.

These include:

  • getting the support they need to live long and healthy lives
  • being treated with the same dignity and respect
  • having a home within their community
  • being able to develop and maintain relationships and
  • getting the support they need to live a healthy, safe and fulfilling life.

To do this we know that we need to make services in the community better.  This will mean that children and young people will be able to get their health care at home or near to where they live.

To monitor the care and support that children and young people are receiving, Care, Education and Treatment review (CETR) meetings are arranged. The reviews are arranged and chaired by the Clinical Commissioning Group or NHS England, with the individual and family members central to the review and any decision making and outcomes. The meetings are multi-agency person centred reviews attended by an independent clinical expert and an expert by experience to consider if there is a community alternative that would prevent admission into hospital or support discharge from hospital.

Care and Treatment reviews can be requested by any member of the care team or by family or the young person themselves if they have concerns about their care and treatment. Speak to your Young Minds Matter contact or mental health worker, social care contact or SEND officer if you have any questions about care and treatment reviews and how they are arranged. Professionals who are already involved with the young person may request a Care and Treatment Review, with your consent, if the multi-disciplinary team around the young person feels that the risk of a hospital admission is increasing.

The transforming care programme for children and young people has strong links with the Special Educational Needs and Disabilities (SEND) principles and agenda and a key role of the programme is to ensure that children and young people with learning difficulties and autism with behaviours that challenge or mental health conditions, leave school with a good education, health and care plan that supports their transition to adulthood leading to better outcomes for them and their families.

Related content

Children and Young People, Information, Advice and Support Services Network

SEND guide for children and young people (PDF)

Coram Children’s Legal Centre

Department of Education


National Iinformation Advice and Support Services Network

North East Lincolnshire Parent Participation Forum (NELPPF)

Contact details

Families First Information Service, Civic Offices, Knoll Street, Cleethorpes, North East Lincolnshire, DN35 8LN


Telephone: 01472 326292 option 1

Opening times: Monday to Friday 8:30am to 4:30pm, except bank holidays