North East Lincolnshire Council

Current council tax charges

The current and previous year’s council tax charges for North East Lincolnshire, are shown in the related documents at the bottom of this page

The Valuation Office Agency decide the band that your property falls into. For more information on how properties are banded, how to challenge a banding or to check your own property banding visit the Valuation Office Agency website. The email for our regional office is

To find out more about the Police and Crime Commissioner for Humberside’s precepts, visit the website. To find out more about Humberside Fire Authority visit the Humberside Fire website.

Appealing against a council tax band

To appeal or challenge a banding decision you need to contact the valuation office directly. For more information you can visit the Valuation Office Agency website.

The grounds for appeal about banding are restricted to the following cases where:

  • you believe that the banding should be changed because there has been a material increase or reduction (this is explained below) in the dwelling’s value
  • you start or stop using part of your dwelling to carry out a business, or the balance between the domestic or the business use changes
  • the Valuation Officer has altered a list without a proposal having been made by a taxpayer
  • you become the taxpayer in respect of a dwelling for the first time. Your appeal must be made within six months, but if the same appeal has already been considered and determined by a Valuation Tribunal, it cannot be made again.

A material increase in value may result from building, engineering or other work carried out on the dwelling. In these cases revaluation does not take place until after a sale. The person appealing would usually be the new owner or resident.

A material reduction in value may result from the demolition of any part of the dwelling, any change in the physical state of the local area or the dwelling has been adapted for use by someone with a disability. In these cases revaluation should take place as soon as possible.

Information about individual bandings can be found on the Valuation Office Agency website.

If you consider that you are not liable to pay council tax because you are not the resident or owner, because your property is exempt, or if you think that the council has made a mistake in calculating your bill you should make an appeal in writing to the council as soon as possible so that your case can be considered.

Please note that if you submit an appeal against your bill or banding, you cannot withhold payment against your account pending settlement of the appeal. Should you do so the normal recovery process would take effect and you may lose the right to pay by instalments.

Council Tax Liability and Billing team (telephone and postal enquiries only), Local Taxation and Benefits, Municipal Offices, Town Hall Square, Grimsby, DN31 1HU


Telephone: 0300 3030164 option 5

Telephone opening times: Monday to Friday 9 am to 4:30 pm, except bank holidays