COVID-19: Recovery – Support your community through volunteering
Covid vaccination support volunteers
The response so far
We have witnessed an amazing community response to the challenges created by COVID-19 and so many local people and groups volunteered to support our local effort.
Setting up a volunteer group
If you are considering setting up a group of local volunteers to help your community return to normal please check online to see if any local groups have already been set up, and contact them first.
Alternatively, contact your local community centre or charity to see if you can support their work. If you still plan to set something up, and need advice and guidance on issues like safety, volunteering and data protection, you can contact Sector Support North East Lincolnshire.
Sector Support are funded by North East Lincolnshire Council and the Clinical Commissioning Group and are helping to co-ordinate community and voluntary sector activity. They can be contacted on 07572 896859 (Amy Hallett) or 07791 040433 (Pippa Robson), or email email@example.com.
Their website is Sector Support NEL .
Existing community groups
If you want to continue to volunteer to support the individuals or groups that you have been working with, thank you, we welcome your commitment. If you responded to the volunteers survey that we circulated during the response to Covid 19 please send us an update on the activities that you undertook. We would love to receive any case studies or stories on the difference that your volunteering made to the local community.
There are currently 3 ways to become involved in volunteering during the Covid-19 recovery phase;
- If you want to volunteer for activity that is directly related to dealing with issues that have and continue to arise from the COVID-19 pandemic then please register on the Blue Lights Brigade website.
- If you want to volunteer to support voluntary and community groups to get back up and running, delivering day to day support to individuals and groups across the borough then please register via the TakePartNEL
- Register with NHS volunteer responders
Organising the response
If you are volunteering to help someone who is vulnerable or isolated, please take the below steps to make sure you do not contribute to the spread of COVID-19.
- if you feel at all unwell, do not volunteer
- wash your hands regularly with warm water and soap or antibacterial gel before and after you deliver any items to a person in isolation
- if you make a delivery, stay two metres away from anyone else at all times – ideally place any items outside of doors and then step away
- be careful about how you share personal information about yourself and other people – avoid sharing your or a vulnerable person’s address and other contact information in public groups or documents
- try to support people who live close to you, so you don’t travel larger distances