When you must self-isolate
Isolate immediately if:
- you have COVID-19 symptoms
- you test positive (LFT and PCR tests)
- you are contacted by Test and Trace
- you have visited South Africa, or been in contact with anyone who has visited South Africa, in the last 14 days
Main symptoms of COVID-19
Most people with coronavirus have at least 1 of these symptoms:
- A high temperature – this means you feel hot to touch on your chest or back (you do not need to measure your temperature)
- A new, continuous, dry cough – this means coughing a lot for more than an hour, or 3 or more coughing episodes in 24 hours (if you usually have a cough, it may be worse than usual)
- A loss or change to your sense of smell or taste – this means you’ve noticed you cannot smell or taste anything, or things smell or taste different to normal.
Get tested immediately if you have symptoms
Don’t delay – the test must take place in the first 5 days of your symptoms so request a test a soon as you have symptoms.
Book a test through Test and Trace: Getting a test if you have symptoms
Why you must self-isolate
- You stop the chance of giving the virus to someone else.
- If you live with other people it’s possible you will pass it onto them. They must also self-isolate with you so they don’t pass it on to other people.
- By doing this you are containing the virus within your home. You stop yourself from spreading it to friends and family that don’t live with you and also to the community you live in.
People who have COVID-19 can infect others up to 2 days before symptoms start, and for up to 10 days after.
People who are a contact of someone with the virus are at higher risk of developing COVID-19 in the next 10 days.
What to do when you self-isolate
- Don’t leave your home or have visitors.
- Anyone you live with, and anyone in your support bubble must also self-isolate. Make sure you tell them.
What to do if you need support
If you need support visit our Who to contact for help page or call us on 01472 313131 option 0.
If you are isolating because you have been contacted by Test and Trace then you may also be entitled to a Test and Trace support payment.