North East Lincolnshire Council

Abandoned vehicles

An abandoned vehicle is NOT a vehicle that is regularly parked badly or left in a troublesome place, obstructing your access and exit from your property. If you notice an abandoned vehicle, please call the non-emergency 101 line or visit  to report it on the Humberside Police website. If you’d rather not give your name, you can call Crimestoppers on 0800 555111.

Abandoned vehicles are often:

  • left in the same location for long periods of time (at least a month) and unattended
  • neglected, in poor condition or vandalised
  • leaking fluids, such as oil and coolant etc.

If you need to dispose of your car you must use an Authorised Treatment Facility (ATF), authorised by the Environment Agency. Some ATF’s will collect the vehicle for you if you are unable to take it to them and they may even give you some money for it. They will issue you with a Certificate of Destruction. There is a public register of ATF’s where you can search for a local provider.

Go to for more information:

Before contacting us you can check if a car has a valid MOT and Tax on the DVLA website (link to “”)

Untaxed cars should then be reported to the DVLA using their online form:

Alternatively contact them direct on 08000 325 202.

Speak to your neighbours to see if they know who the car belongs to. These factors won’t definitively tell you if a vehicle is abandoned or not, but it would be unlikely to be abandoned if it has a valid MOT.

Remember that everyone has the right to park their car on a highway, even if they don’t live in the street.

Report an abandoned vehicle by completing our online form for Abandoned vehicle

We will investigate the vehicle within two working days of it being reported. If we determine that there is no local registered keeper, we may remove a vehicle and dispose of it via recycling.