Food hygiene and safety
The Food Health Team helps to protect public health and supports food businesses to ensure standards of hygiene and safety are maintained. The team’s day to day functions can include:
- Inspection and monitoring of food businesses to check they are complying with food laws
- Awarding food hygiene ratings to food businesses to inform customers about the hygiene standards found on inspection
- Food sampling to make sure that food sold by businesses is safe to eat
- Investigation of complaints about food and food premises
- Investigation of notified cases of food poisoning and infectious disease
- Provision of advice for food handlers and food businesses
- Provision of advice and consultation to other departments and outside bodies such as licensing and planning where food safety may be at risk
- Promotion of health and healthy lifestyles
Officers from the Food Health Team routinely inspect over 1800 premises ranging from factories of multi-national companies to small corner shops to make sure that they are complying with standards that are required by law. North East Lincolnshire Council has a higher than average concentration of large manufacturers within its area and as a result its officers have built up a great deal of expertise in dealing with state-of-the-art companies and processes.
In partnership with the Food Standards Agency, North East Lincolnshire Council is now operating the national Food Hygiene Rating Scheme.
Find out about the hygiene standards in your favourite restaurants, takeaways and food shops.
It is a legal requirement to register for you food business with the Council at least 28 days before opening.