Developing Affordable Housing
Find out about the development of Affordable Housing and Section 106 (S106) Affordable Housing contributions.
Affordable Housing definition
The National Planning Policy Framework (NPPF) defines Affordable Housing as ‘social rented, affordable rented and intermediate housing, provided to eligible households whose needs are not met by the market.’
Affordable Housing contributions
The council’s Affordable Housing policy requires developer S106 contributions to be;
- on housing developments of 15 or more dwellings
- 20% of the dwellings should be Affordable Housing
- a mix which reflects the mix of size and type of housing to be developed across the whole site
- a tenure split of 75% Social Rented and 25% Intermediate Affordable Housing
- dwellings provided on site unless otherwise agreed with North East Lincolnshire Council
- secured through a legal agreement (Town and Country Planning Act section 106) agreed with North East Lincolnshire Council
- decent quality housing suitable to meet local housing need
- value for money and viable
The number, size and type of S106 units required to meet local Affordable Housing need is determined through consultation and negotiation with our Lead Officer for Affordable Housing.
The council recognises that developers and landowners are entitled to make a competitive return from the development of land.
Guidance is that the value of land should be based on the return having taken into account development costs and S106 contributions. Applications for outline planning permission will be assumed to make a full Affordable Housing contribution with viability discussed and final contribution agreed at the detailed planning stage.
There may be opportunities to improve viability through provision of Affordable Housing and other means, and we can help you to explore these. Sales of the Affordable Housing dwellings are negotiated with registered providers (housing associations) which are developing stock in North East Lincolnshire.
If you would like to discuss the provision of Affordable Housing, have concerns with regard to viability or other issues that you may have regarding specific Affordable Housing development proposals, please contact us using the contact details below.
Affordable Housing, Strategic Housing – North East Lincolnshire Council, Civic Offices, Knoll Street, Cleethorpes, North East Lincolnshire, DN35 8LN
Telephone: 01472 324877
Opening times: Monday to Thursday 9 am to 5 pm and Friday 9 am to 4.30 pm, except bank holidays