Skip to main content

Premises and club licences


If you’re a business or organisation who want to sell alcohol and provide entertainment, there are a few steps you must take before having a premises licence granted.

  1. you or someone you’re employing must have a personal licence to sell alcohol
  2. have a designated premises supervisor who holds a personal licence
  3. fill in an premises licence application and send a copy to all the responsible authorities who act on behalf of the public
  4. pay licence fee
  5. receive no objections within 28 days of submitting your application

A working men’s club or a members sports club requires a club premises licence.

If you’re having an event which will sell alcohol, late night refreshments or put on entertainment then you’ll need to fill in a temporary events notice.


Once you’ve submitted the application it must be displayed at the premises, in a local newspaper and on the council’s website within 10 working days. If your application receives no objections within 28 days a licence will be granted.

In the event of receiving objections a hearing will take place within 20 working days. A licence can still be granted or granted with conditions at a hearing but it may lead to being refused.

You have the right to appeal to a Magistrates court within 21 days of the decision being made.

Licensable activities

  • live or recorded music
  • facilities for making music
  • indoor sport event
  • boxing or wrestling (indoor or outdoor)
  • dance or dance facilities
  • showing a film or theatrical performance
  • gambling machine games

North East Lincolnshire Council is encouraging businesses to work together to help reduce crime, violence and substance misuse which have been influenced by alcohol.

Contact details

Licensing, Doughty road depot, Doughty road, North East Lincolnshire, DN32 0LL

Email: [email protected]

Telephone: 01472 326299 option 2

Opening times: Monday to Friday 8:30am to 5pm, except bank holidays