Skip to main content

Premises licence


New licence

You need a premises licence if you want to provide licensable activities such as sell alcohol, serve hot food between 11pm and 5am or provide entertainment.

Before you start

  • must be 18 or over
  • have an appointed designated premises supervisor (DPS) who holds a personal licence
  • provide a plan of the premises
  • details of an operating schedule (opening times, licensable activities including the times and if alcohol is being sold for drinking on or off the premises or both)

A copy of your application must be sent to all the responsible authorities who act on behalf of the public.

Variation to licence

You can submit a full variation or a minor variation on your existing premises licence.

Minor variations include:

  • slightly amending the operating times
  • add regulated entertainment and late night refreshments as licensable activities
  • small changes to the premises layout or structure
  • removing conditions which are out of date or invalid
  • moving the hours you serve alcohol

Application for a minor variation

Make a big change to your existing premises licence by:

  • changing when the licensable activities take place
  • applying for more licensable activities
  • making major changes to the layout or structure

Application for a variation


Fee typesCost
Minor Variation to a Premises Licence£89
Transfer a Premises Licence£23
Certified copy of a Premises Licence or Summary£10.50

Fees for a new application or a variation of an existing licence

The licence fee is based on the rateable value of the premises which is set by the valuation office.

Check your business’ rateable value

Rateable value bandInitial application feeMultiplierRenewal feeAnnual maintenance fee
A: up to £4,299£100£0£0£70
B: £4,300 to £33,000£190£0£0£180
C: £33,001 to £87,000£315£0£0£295
D: £87,001 to £125,000£450£900£640£320
E: £125,001 and above£635£1,905£1,050£350

Multiplier – A multiplier is applied to premises in band D and E where they are exclusively or primarily in the business of supplying alcohol for consumption on the premises.

Provisional statement

If your premises is being built or having alterations, you can apply for a provisional statement  which tells you if you’re likely to be granted a premises licence. This also allows you to apply for a new or variation premises licence before the premises is ready to be used for licensable activities.

Contact details

Licensing, Doughty road depot, Doughty road, North East Lincolnshire, DN32 0LL

Email: [email protected]

Telephone: 01472 326299 option 2

Opening times: Monday to Friday 8:30am to 5pm, except bank holidays