Hackney carriage and private hire vehicle licence
Working as a driver in a hackney carriage (taxi) or private hire vehicle means you must have had a licence granted by the local authority.
All new and existing drivers must follow the standards set by North East Lincolnshire Council.
All licensed drivers registered with North East Lincolnshire Council are listed on the public register. The public register is available to view at the Municipal Offices, Town Hall Square, Grimsby, DN31 1HU.
A hackney carriage (taxi) or private hire vehicle can only be driven by someone who has had a licence to be granted the council.
For the council to check you’re suitable for working with members of the public you must have:
- a level 2 in the role of the professional taxi and private hire driver
- paid the application fee including being licenced for 3 years
- cleared a Disclosure and Barring Service
- your immigration status check
- completed a medical
- held a full driving licence for 12 months which has been issued by the DVLA in Great Britain (GB), European Economic Area (EEA) or Northern Ireland
- filled in the application Form
- 1 passport photograph
- 2 references
- passed a knowledge test
- attended a 2 hour child sexual awareness briefing
- a certificate of good conduct – if applicable
How to apply
You must contact the licensing team to request an application form and book an appointment with an officer. At the appointment you will go through your application form, complete a Disclosure and Barring Service check and pay any fees. Before your appointment you must see your GP for a medical, and you must have your application signed by the owner of the business you intend to work for.
At your appointment
You will need to bring a:
- completed application form
- medical certificate from your GP
- credit or debit card, cheque or postal order but not cash to pay the fees
- original documentation to confirm your identity for the Disclosure and Barring Service check
For a Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) check you must have your National Insurance Number, full postal address of homes where you have lived in the past 5 years. An original document from group 1, and 2 more original documents from either group 1 or 2. Documents must show current name and address and date of birth.
New application fees
|3 year licence for taxi and private hire vehicle||£244|
|1 year licence for a hackney carriage licence||£192|
|1 year licence for a private hire vehicle||£189|
Licensing, Doughty road depot, Doughty road, North East Lincolnshire, DN32 0LL
Telephone: 01472 326299 option 2
Opening times: Monday to Friday 8:30am to 5pm, except bank holidays