North East Lincolnshire Council

Temporary event notice (TEN)

You will need a temporary event notice (TEN) if you want to carry out a ‘licensable activity’ on unlicensed premises in England or Wales. The process of applying is formally known as ‘serving’ a temporary event notice


Licensable activity includes:

  • Selling or supplying alcohol to members of the public
  • Serving alcohol to members of a private club
  • Providing entertainment (eg music, dancing or indoor sporting events)
  • Serving hot food or drink between 11 pm and 5 am

You will also need a TEN if a particular licensable activity is not included in the terms of your existing licence, eg holding a wedding reception at a community centre.



Eligibility criteria

Your event must:

  • have less than 500 people at any one time – including staff running the event
  • last no more than 168 hours, or seven days

You must be at least 18 to apply for a temporary event notice.

You will need a TEN for each event you hold on the same premises.

You can get up to five TENs a year. If you already have a personal licence to sell alcohol, you can be given up to 50 TENs a year.

A single premises can have up to 15 notices applied for in one year, as long as:

  • the total length of the events is not more than 21 days
  • one person doesn’t make more than five applications for the premises

If you are organising separate but consecutive events, there must be at least a 24 hour gap between them.

If you don’t hold a personal licence, you can serve up to five notices (of which up to two may be late).

If you hold a personal licence, the limit is 50 notices (of which up to ten may be late).

The notice should contain:

  • If alcohol is to be supplied, a statement confirming that it is a condition of using the premises that the supplies are made under the premises user’s authority
  • A statement relating to certain matters
  • Any other required information

The matters referred to above are:

  • Details of the licensable activities
  • The event period
  • The times when during that period the activities will take place
  • The maximum number of people proposed to be allowed on the premises
  • Any other required matters

‘Late TENs’

You can apply for a ‘late TEN’ up to five working days before the event. You can apply for up to ten late TENs per calendar year.

Regulation summary

The council can’t refuse a notice unless the police or environmental health object to it. They must do this within three working days of receiving it. They can only object if they think your event could:

  • lead to crime and disorder
  • cause a public nuisance
  • be a threat to public safety
  • put children at risk of harm

If there’s an objection, the council’s licensing committee will hold a meeting – called a ‘hearing’ – no later than 24 hours before the event.

At the hearing, the committee will either approve, add conditions or reject the notice.

If you disagree with the licensing committee’s decision, you can appeal to your local Magistrates’ court. You must do this within 21 days, and at least five working days before the date of your event.

If you don’t have a TEN and carry out an activity that you should have a licence for (or allow your premises to be used for one), you can be fined £20,000, sent to prison for up to six months, or both.

You must keep your TEN in a safe place where the event is held. You must also display a copy of the notice where it can be easily seen.

Evaluation process

Please contact the licensing team for further information.

Tacit consent

Yes. This means that you will be able to act as though your application is granted if you have not heard from the local authority by the end of the target completion period which is 28 days after the submission of all relevant information.

Failed application

Please contact the licensing team in the first instance.

If a counter notice is given in relation to an objection notice the applicant may appeal against the decision. Appeals must be made to the local Magistrates’ court within 21 days. An appeal may not be brought later than five working days from the day of the planned event.

Licence holder redress

Please contact the licensing team in the first instance.

Consumer complaint

We would always advise that in the event of a complaint the first contact is made by you – preferably in the form of a letter or e-mail to the trader (with proof of delivery). If that has not worked please contact the licensing team. Alternatively, if you are located in the UK, visit citizens advice. From outside the UK contact the UK European consumer centre.

Any complaints about the application process or any other concerns should be made direct to the licensing team in the first instance.

Other redress

Please contact the licensing team for further information.

Public registers or databases

Available on request please contact the licensing team for further information.

Licensing Team, Doughty Road Depot, Doughty Road, Grimsby, DN32 0LL


Telephone: 01472 326299 option 2

Opening times: Monday to Friday 9 am to 5 pm except bank holidays