North East Lincolnshire Council

Personal licences

Personal licence

A personal licence allows an individual to authorise the sale or supply of alcohol. All premises with a premises licence (Licensing Act 2003) need at least one personal licence holder where one of their activities is the sale or supply of alcohol. A personal licence is portable throughout England and Wales.

If you want to apply for a personal licence you must:

Relevant Offences

 Applicants and licence holders are required to declare details of any Relevant, Foreign or Immigration Offences for which they have been convicted.

The offences are specified as relevant offences under the Licensing Act 2003, and any convictions for these offences must be declared:

  • By applicants, within an application for grant of a Personal Licence or
  • By licence-holders, as soon as reasonably practicable after conviction or disposal of any appeal.

If charged with a relevant offence, licensees must notify the Court that they hold a Personal Licence, before the end of their first appearance in a magistrate’s court in connection with the offence.

To see the full list of offences please see Personal Licence Relevant Offences

Making your application

To make an application you must submit the following documentation:

  • Personal Licence Application Form (Word document)
  • Disclosure of Convictions Form (Word document)
  • the original Certificate of the Personal Licence holders qualification
  • the Original Certificate of a criminal record disclosure that is not more than one month old
  • two passport photographs. One of these must be certified by a professional person on the reverse to state that it is a true likeness of yourself
  • the fee of £37.00 (payable via Cheque, Postal Order or Telephone payment)
  • evidence of your right to work in the UK (see application)

Requesting a replacement or changes to a current Personal Licence

The Deregulation Act 2015 came into effect on the 1 April 2015 and abolished the requirement to renew personal licences. Instead personal licences will carry on indefinitely until such time that they are surrendered, suspended, revoked or forfeited.

However, if your name or address has changed since the issue of your personal licence, you must notify the authority that granted your initial application.

You can request a replacement licence including name or address changes by completing the online form Personal licence change or reissue. There is a statutory fee of £10.50 for a replacement licence.

Alternatively you can make the changes by posting the following information to Licensing Section, Doughty Road Depot, Doughty Road, Grimsby, DN32 0LL:

  • a letter confirming your new name/address
  • a cheque or postal order for £10.50 (made payable to North East Lincolnshire Council or NELC)
  • your original identification photo card and personal licence (paper part)