Road safety improvements to Brereton Avenue
A series of road safety improvements will be carried out this month on Brereton Avenue in Cleethorpes, with some measures being installed early at the request of residents.
Whilst the bulk of the works will be starting on Monday 28 October, advanced warning notices and digital 20mph flashing signs will be erected today (Friday 4 October).
Improvements due to be carried out from 28 October along Brereton Avenue will include:
- Installation of speed cushions and speed humps;
- Installation of speeding vehicle activated signs;
- Additional road markings to be installed to reinforce the existing 20mph zone;
- 20mph markings will be installed on the streets leading on to Brereton Avenue reinforcing the 20mph zone.
These works are expected to take four weeks to complete.
Councillor Stewart Swinburn, portfolio holder for environment and transport at North East Lincolnshire Council said: “This is an emotive issue for local residents following a number of incidents along this stretch of road.
“For legal reasons, we have to give a period of notice before carrying out these works so cannot bring them forward, however I have listened to residents’ concerns and requested that the more minor works to introduce advanced warning signage and digital 20mph signs be installed immediately.
“We have done an extensive investigation into the collisions that have occurred along this road, analysing data and working with our partner agencies to come up with a scheme that will aim to improve road safety, reduce vehicle speeds and reinforce the 20mph limit.
The works follow an investigation carried out by highways officers in the area and reviewing collision data.
Advanced warning signs will be displayed on Brereton Avenue and letters sent to local residents and businesses before works start.
Access to properties and businesses will be maintained at all times during the works.
Outline of traffic management:
- W/C Monday 28 October for two weeks, – localised traffic management between Clee Road and Lestrange Street
- W/C Monday 11 November for one week – sectional road closures between Lestrange Street and Park Street. Access to properties will be maintained at all times.
- W/C Monday 18 November for one week – localised traffic management
Localised traffic management includes cones and barriers being in place for the works to be completed safely.
North East Lincolnshire Council and its regeneration partner, ENGIE, would like to apologise to resident for any inconvenience while the road safety improvements are carried out.
Visit www.nelincs.gov.uk/roadworks for the latest live travel information in the borough, including congestion and road works.