You’ve bought most your presents, started wrapping, and are beginning to look forward to Christmas.
There are plenty of things you could be doing to make this festive season a less stressful one.
North East Lincolnshire Council’s regulatory services have compiled a list of their 12 top tips ahead of Christmas.
From keeping receipts and using a credit card, to offering space in your wheelie bin to a neighbour – there’s a lot you can be doing to keep Christmas running as smoothly as possible.
Here’s the service’s top tips:
- Try to buy presents with less packaging and wrap presents with recycled paper.
- If you have space in your wheelie bin before collection, consider offering your neighbours the use of it to put their extra waste in.
- Don’t leave packaging for high value items on display on collection day – try to ensure it is concealed within the other rubbish.
- Shop around for the best deals. You can’t return something because you’ve changed your mind or found it cheaper elsewhere.
- Keep your receipts. A trader is entitled to ask for proof of purchase if you return faulty goods.
- Consider using your credit card when buying items more than £100 as you will have extra protection from the credit card provider.
- Watch out for fake goods. If it sounds too good to be true, it probably is.
- Don’t keep presents on view and close your curtains before dark. Make a note of the serial numbers of any presents before wrapping them.
- Going on holiday? Paying someone to look after your pet? They must have a licence from the council. Your pet insurance may be invalidated if you use an unregistered boarder.
- Ensure you dog is microchipped and details are up-to-date, as well as having a collar and tag. You and your dog can be reunited quicker if it strays.
- Always use a licensed taxi. When the vehicle comes, make sure the driver can confirm your name and destination, and check the drivers’ photo ID badge.
- Hackney Carriage Vehicles can pick up unarranged fares from the street. They have a ‘taxi’ roof sign and a white licence plate on the rear bumper. Private hire vehicles are not permitted to pick up from the street. They have a half moon door sign on the front door two doors which states ‘advance booking only’.
Councillor David Bolton, portfolio holder for safer and stronger communities, said: “Christmas is a wonderful time of year, but it’s important to stay safe during the festivities.
“Hopefully these top tips will keep your Christmas running as smoothly as possible.”