North East Lincolnshire Council is reminding people to be patient when visiting the Community Recycling Centres in Grimsby and Immingham.
Community Recycling Centres, also known as CRCs or the tips, are busy during bank holiday weekends with hundreds of visitors per day. Both sites are run by North East Lincolnshire Council’s waste management contractor Newlincs Development Ltd.
Tips for your trip to the tip
- Be patient – Grimsby and Immingham tips are busy during bank holiday weekends. Only a limited number of vehicles are allowed on site due to Covid-19 restrictions, queues could be longer than usual
- Stay safe – follow the site rules to keep yourself, other visitors and staff safe during your visit
- Plan ahead – complete the online declaration form at nelincs.gov.uk/householdwasteform if you are using a commercial vehicle, trailer or large vehicle, including people carriers, 4x4s and estate cars
- Book mattresses in advance – there is a limit on the number of mattresses we can accept
- Bulky waste and garden waste – if you can’t get to the tip, try the paid for bulky waste or garden waste collection services.
The recycling centres are open 8am to 6pm everyday, except for Christmas Day, Boxing Day and New Years Day.
A North East Lincolnshire Council spokesperson said:
“Grimsby and Immingham tips are usually very busy during the bank holiday weekends. Try and avoid visiting at peak times if you can.
“If you are bringing cardboard boxes, please flatten them first so they don’t fill up the skips so quickly.
“When the site is busy, people bringing cardboard with other types of waste might be asked to dispose of all the waste in the general waste skips to help keep people socially distanced.
“Remember that going to the tip is different to the way the system operated before the pandemic.
“We have a number of restrictions in place to keep it safe for visitors and staff, including limiting the number of vehicles on site.
“Please be patient. Respect other visitors and site staff.”
COVID-19 site restrictions
- Please bring a mask with you when visiting the tip as you may be asked to wear one
- Only one visit per day
- No one in self-isolation, or with coronavirus symptoms should visit the tips under any circumstances
- Stay two metres away from our staff and other visitors to the site
- Up to four cars on site at a time
- All waste and recycling must be brought to the site in a vehicle
- Assistance will not be given by the site attendants – please only bring waste that you are able to handle safely yourself
- Maximum of 2 people in a vehicle
- Do not move to another container if another person is using it, wait until they are finished
- On your return from the site, please remember not to touch your face and to wash your hands for 20 seconds on arrival at your destination
Grimsby tip remained open during the pandemic with some restrictions in place to help keep visitors and staff safe. Immingham tip closed for a few weeks in the first lockdown.
You must book in advance if you want to take a mattress to the sites as there is a limit on the number of mattresses the site can take.
- call 01472 326288 during office hours to make a booking (Bookings must be made before 4pm on a Friday for the weekend)
- if you bring a mattress to either site without a booking, you will be turned away
- a ramp has been fitted to help visitors move mattresses into the skip
- site staff are social distancing and cannot help you move large items – please only bring a mattress if you can move it safely yourself
Most other waste and recycling and white goods will be accepted, however you can only bring:
- a maximum of three types of waste and/or recyclable materials at any one time
- small quantities of wood/MDF in a van or trailer
- Soil and rubble (maximum of three bags per household per day)
- Clean Plaster Board only. Contaminated plasterboard with insulation / foil / plaster attached to it is not accepted
Bulky waste collections are running as normal. The prices are the same as they have always been since the service was launched in 2019. Make a booking now at www.nelincs.gov.uk/BulkyWaste.
The Council offers a paid for garden waste service. Have your garden waste taken away for just £36. Sign-up at www.nelincs.gov.uk/GardenWaste.
Large and commercial vehicles
If you regularly visit the tip in any of the vehicles listed below, you must complete an online declaration form before your visit.
A declaration form must be completed by each member of a household if using a shared vehicle.
Trade or commercial waste will not be accepted, misuse of the community recycling centres may lead to legal action.
- Large vehicle
- Estate cars
- 4 wheel drive
- People carriers
On arrival you will be asked to declare what waste or recyclable items you’re bringing, and that the waste has been generated from your own residential home. All waste declared will be recorded and monitored.