North East Lincolnshire Council

Business waste

If you’re looking for advice about a business project, or an investment opportunity, visit our dedicated inward investment website

If you operate a business, either from your home, or from separate premises and produce ‘trade’ waste, you must ensure that you make the appropriate arrangements for disposal under the Duty of Care as set out in the Environmental Protection Act.

We do not operate a commercial waste collection.

Advice on the reduction and disposal of commercial waste

The ‘business waste handbook’ available in the related download section of this page provides details and advice for North East Lincolnshire businesses to help reduce, reuse and recycle business waste.

By using your resources more effectively, your business could save money and be more attractive to cus­tomers. Search for “commercial waste disposal” at to find a number of choices for this area.

By using your resources more effectively, your business could save money and be more attractive to cus­tomers.

For other aspects of environmental management you may like to consider having an externally certificated Environmental Management System such as ISO 14001, BS8555, or EMAS. For small businesses, a stepped programme to reach compliance may be the most convenient. For more information go to the IEMA website.

Security Services provides a confidential waste service for council departments and external customers, ensuring the safe collection and disposal of documents.

If you wish to request confidential waste bags please telephone the Asset Management Service Desk on 01472 324646  or email Security Services.

If you produce or deal with waste that has certain hazardous properties, you will also have to comply with the hazardous waste regulations.

Hazardous waste is generated by most businesses and includes items such as fluorescent tubes and computer monitors, as well as more obvious materials such as solvents and chemicals. This type of waste used to be called “special waste”.

Examples of hazardous wastes include:

  • Asbestos
  • Chemical wastes
  • Infectious healthcare wastes
  • Electrical equipment containing hazardous components
    • Such as cathode ray tubes or lead solder
  • Fluorescent light tubes
  • Lead-acid batteries
  • Oily sludge
  • Pesticides
  • Solvents

If your business produces hazardous waste it should not be mixed with non-hazardous waste. It is also best practice to use a contractor who can provide specialist collection and disposal services as hazardous waste can only be disposed of.

You must register your premises with the Environment Agency before you allow any hazardous waste to leave your premises.

Your premises may be exempt from registering if:

  • Your premises are an office, a shop, used for the collection of waste electrical and electronic equipment, or a dental, veterinary or medical practice, a farm or a ship. and;
  • You produce less than 500kg of hazardous waste in any 12 month period

If you produce hazardous waste on a farm, you do not need to register unless you produce more than 500kg a year. This limit will be reviewed.

Even if you are exempt from registering, you must still have a Hazardous Waste Note (HWN) to accompany hazardous waste. These can be obtained from the Environment Agency. As a producer it is your responsibility to ensure that the HWN is completed in accordance with the regulations.

Please note: these regulations are complex and we strongly advise any companies unsure of their obligations to contact the Environment Agency or Envirowise

If you’re paying someone to get rid of waste on your behalf, you must check that they are licensed to do so. If you don’t and the waste is dumped illegally, you can be held accountable under the Environmental Protection Act and fined.

The simplest way to check is to visit the Environment Agency’s waste carrier register and enter the business name. On the same site you can enter your postcode and search for registered waste carriers near where you live.

Search waste carriers and brokers:

You must register if you do any of these things as part of your business:
  • transport waste
  • buy, sell or dispose of waste
  • arrange for someone else to buy, sell or dispose of waste

You can be fined up to £5,000 if you don’t register. Registration is usually free if you only transport waste you produce yourself. Otherwise, registration costs £154.

Visit to register:

WrapEnvirowise offers free, independent support to help your business to become more resource efficient and save money

Please Note: Our email system will not accept any email attachments exceeding 2 Mb in size.

Telephone: 01472 326288 option 6

Social media: Twitter general enquiries @NELCouncil