North East Lincolnshire Council

Brexit – the transition period

The United Kingdom (UK) ended its EU membership on 31 January 2020 and is now in a transition period until the end of 2020 while the UK and EU negotiate additional arrangements.

The current rules on trade, travel and business for the UK and EU will continue to apply during the tranition period. You, your family or your business can take some actions now to prepare for 2021. Here we have highlighted some of the key links based on the questions that we have been asked.

Advice for residents

Travelling to EU countries will require additional preparation in terms of travel documents for you and your pets, health care, mobile roaming charges and driving permits. Check what you need to do when going to the EU.

Advice for businesses

If you move goods into or out of the EU, you must get an EORI number.

You should also decide how you want to make customs declarations and whether you need to deal with customs for you.

Advice for people with a passport from an EU country who wish to continue to live and work in the UK

Check if you need to apply to the settlement scheme if you or your family hold a passport from an EU member state or from Switzerland, Norway, Iceland or Liechtenstein.

Your rights and how to apply for settled and pre-settled status

If you are an EU citizen or a family member of an EU citizen, you will may need to apply if you want to stay in the UK after 30 June 2021. This includes if you are married to a British citizen. For more information on this process go to – Settled status for EU citizens and families.

Use our android app to prove your identity

If you are applying for settled or pre-settled status and you are not able to access an android app to prove your identity, you can book an appointment with us to help you do this part of your application. We can use the app to scan your document details and take your photo, saving you time entering the details into the form.

The fee for this service is £14. The fee must be paid at the time of booking and is non-refundable. To book an appointment please contact the Register Office, Knoll Street, Cleethorpes on 01472 326295 option 3.

You will need to bring your current valid biometric EU, EEA or Swiss passport, or a valid Biometric Residence Permit (BRP) for family members of an EU, EEA or Swiss citizen. You will also need a mobile phone that can receive text messages or a device that can receive email.

EU Settlement Scheme Privacy Policy (PDF)

Terms and conditions for EU Settlement Scheme (PDF)

Advice for UK citizens who want to live and work in EU countries

Living and working in an EU country depends on the rules in that country.

You may need to register or apply for residency. You should check that you’re covered for healthcare.

You may also need to exchange your UK driving licence for a licence issued by the EU country where you live.