Welcome to the breastfeeding support where you will find important information about breastfeeding in North East Lincolnshire.
Benefits of breastfeeding
Breastfeeding gives your baby or babies the best start in life. It is recommended that you breastfeed for the first 6 months of life.
The milk that a baby receives when breastfeeding is more than just a food, it contains:
- properties that help protect babies from infection and diseases
The milk that a baby receives when breastfeeding is especially made to meet the needs of each individual baby. It is easily absorbed, naturally designed and adapts to promote growth and development.
Breastfeeding helps protect your baby against a wide range of infections, allergies and diseases, including:
- Ear infections
- Gastro-intestinal infections, stomach upsets, diarrhoea
- Chest infections
- Urine infections
- Childhood diabetes
- Childhood cancer, coronary heart disease
- Necrotising Enterocolitis
- Sudden Infant Death (SIDS)
Links have also been made with:
- Increased development of the neurological and central nervous system
- Reduced risk of behavioural problems
Benefits to mothers
Breastfeeding also benefits mothers:
- It helps protect mothers against ovarian and breast cancer
- Can help protect against weak bones (osteoporosis) in later life
- Can help women return to their pre-pregnancy figure faster
- Can help build a strong relationship and attachment with your baby in the early days
Breastfeeding is safe, convenient, environmentally friendly, and it is free.