The council does not have a Pest control service. You must access private providers found online or in a telephone directory
Control of wild species
We prefer human and non lethal ways to solve issues with wild species in towns and sub-urban areas. Culling wildlife is rarely an effective long-term solution.
Report a vermin problem
If you see the following problems:
- vermin in gullies at the side of the road in the gutter area (on public land)
- vermin in someone else’s property
You should complete our Vermin report
To report vermin in other locations, contact the following places:
- Vermin seen in drains, ditches or manholes – you should contact Anglian Water – 0800 375 675
- Vermin in business premises i.e. food outlets etc. Environmental health 01472 326299 Option 1 to discuss further
- Vermin in empty properties – Private sector housing to discuss further. 01472 326296 option 6
- Vermin in rented accommodation – contact the landlord or agent
- Vermin in privately owned property – contact a pest control company. NELC do not offer this service
An overgrown garden is unlikely to attract rats and the council does not have legislation to force someone to cut their garden.
However if you think the vermin is related to waste in a garden please report the waste using our waste in garden form.
Help and advice to control wild species
Municipal offices, Town Hall Square, Grimsby, North East Lincolnshire, DN31 1HU
Telephone: 01472 326300, option 1