Skip to main content

Violent crime

Domestic Abuse

Domestic abuse is any incident or pattern of incidents of controlling, coercive or threatening behaviour, violence or abuse between those aged 16 or over who are or have been intimate partners or family members regardless of gender or sexuality.

Go to the Safer NEL website for more information on domestic abuse .

Hate crime

Hate Crime is the targeting of individuals, groups or communities because of who they are motivated by prejudice or hate. Hate crime and incidents can be committed against a person or their property. They are motivated, or perceived to be motivated, by the offender’s hatred of someone because of their:

  • Race, colour, ethnic origin, nationality or national origins
  • Sexual orientation
  • Religion
  • Gender identity
  • Age
  • Disability

Hate offences include:

  • Physical attacks – such as physical assault, damage to property, offensive graffiti, neighbour disputes, and arson
  • Threat of attack – including offensive letters, abusive or obscene telephone calls, groups hanging around to intimidate, and unfounded, malicious complaints
  • Verbal abuse or insults – offensive leaflets, stickers and posters, abusive gestures, dumping of rubbish outside homes or through letterboxes, and bullying at school or in the workplace.

To find out more about Hate Crime and how to report visit the Reporting Crime website .

Bullying and online abuse and harassment

Offences might include threats to kill, threats to cause damage, criminal conduct amounting to harassment and comments that incite racial hatred, violence or rioting. If this is the case, please call the non-emergency 101 line or visit the Humberside Police  website to report it. If you would rather not give your name, you can call Crimestoppers on 0800 555111.

For general unpleasant or inappropriate posts, in the first instance, you should contact the social media site on which the comments have been made and ask for their assistance. If you think you have been libelled to the extent you wish to take action then you should consult with a solicitor.

Some forms of bullying are illegal and should be reported to the police, these include violence or assault, repeated harassment or intimidation, theft and hate crimes. Call 101 to report these matters, or if you are at immediate risk dial 999 and ask for the police.

For further information visit the Humberside Police  website.