Skip to main content

Building Regulations

The Building Act 1984  is the primary legislation under which the Building Regulations and other secondary legislation is made.

The Building Regulations  2010 (As amended) are minimum standards for design, construction and alterations to virtually every building. They are developed by the Government and approved by Parliament.

The Building Regulations also contain a list of requirements (referred to as Schedule 1) that are designed to ensure minimum standards for health, safety, welfare, convenience, energy efficiency, sustainability and to prevent misuse, abuse or contamination of water supplies.

These regulations set national standards for building work, whether it be on a major new development or an extension or alterations to your home. They cover all aspects of construction, including foundations, damp-proofing, the overall stability of the building, insulation, ventilation, heating, fire protection and means of escape in case of fire. They also ensure that adequate facilities for people with disabilities are provided in certain types of building.

Approved documents

The Approved Documents provide guidance of how to satisfy Building Regulations. The latest Approved Documents and related publications can be found on the Planning Portal .

Advice and guidance

If you are unsure whether your proposal requires Building Regulations approval, please contact us or refer to the interactive house  (Please remember to select the Building regulations tab).

Building Control Guidance Notes

Our guidance notes are currently being updated. Please call Building Control for any advice on 01472 325959.

The Party Wall Act

A wall is a “party wall” if it stands astride the boundary of land belonging to two (or more) different owners.

Some kinds of work carried out to a property may not be controlled by the Building Regulations, but may be work which is covered by the Party Wall Act 1996 . This is a separate piece of legislation with different requirements to the Building Regulations.

For more guidance on the Party Wall Act 1996, visit the Planning Portal .

Pre-application advice

We would always encourage you to talk to us before an application is submitted. The regulations can be complex, particularly if you haven’t carried out building work before.

Please contact us for free advice.

Extending your home

If you require advice and guidance please view the Local Authority Building Control’s Guide to Extending Your Home .

Contact details

Building Control Service – Municipal Offices, Town Hall Square, Grimsby, DN31 1HU

Email: [email protected]

Telephone: 01472 326289 option 2