Retailers in Grimsby town centre are hosting a free festive trail for some family fun over the coming weeks.
The team from Discover North East Lincolnshire have created the Rocking Robin Festive Trail challenging families to find 22 ceramic robins in the windows of shops in Grimsby town centre and then unscramble the letters on the robins to create a phrase.
Those completing the quiz and handing it in at the final venue will be entered into a random prize draw to win the top prize of a £100 voucher to spend in a Grimsby town centre business.
Other prizes in the draw include family tickets for the panto at Grimsby Auditorium, an ice skating session, a swim session and a visit to Grimsby Fishing Heritage Centre.
The self-guided trail is free to take part and a guide can be picked up at participating businesses.
The trail will start on Friday 4 December and continue on Thursdays, Fridays and Saturdays until Saturday 19 December. Businesses from across the town centre including Abbeygate, Wellowgate and Freshney Place, have joined in to take part.
The robins will be hiding in the windows of 22 shops in the town nestled among Christmas-themed windows. This also forms part of the annual Christmas shop window competition and the public will be able to vote their favourite Christmas-dressed window via Facebook on @DiscoverNEL.
The robins have all been hand painted by local children.
Councillor Callum Procter, portfolio holder for tourism, heritage and culture, said: “I’m so pleased we’ve been able to put this festive trail on in the run-up to Christmas to lift people’s spirits in what has been a tough year.
“So, go on an adventure around Grimsby town centre with the little ones to try and spot all 22 robins that have been lovingly hand painted by local children. And while you’re out and about, why not support our local businesses and take a look inside the shops for any Christmas gift inspiration, or even a treat for yourself?”
Alex Scales, owner of Two Spotty Dogs, said: “I am so excited to be part of the Robin Trail. It’s so lovely for families to have a positive activity in the community at a time when so many things are closed to them and at the same time, bringing local businesses together to enhance the town.
“Small businesses work really hard to make sure that the customer is happy, and need your support more than ever before. We are the people that care about you and the community, and together we can move forward in creating a better place to be.”
The full list of shops taking part:
- Robert Marshall Opticians, 116 Victoria Street
- Riverhead Coffee, 110 Victoria Street
- Alexander Byron Baby, Haven Mill, Garth Lane
- Rushby Sweet Treats, Baxtergate, Freshney Place
- Glitz & Glam, 30 Baxtergate, Freshney Place
- Love Aroma, Friargate, Freshney Place
- Two Spotty Dogs, 13 West St Mary’s Gate
- Hops Travel, 15 West St Mary’s Gate
- Paris Clothing, 2 Abbeygate
- My New Shoes, 26 Abbeygate
- Jazz Clothing, 3 Abbeygate
- Proposals Bridal, 20 Abbeygate
- Henri Beene, 28 Abbeygate
- ISWAS, 9 Abbeygate
- Friary Stitch, 2 Bethlehem Street
- Grimsby Cycle Hub, Train Station
- Vittles, 2 Brighowgate
- The Culture House, 4 Wellowgate
- Woodtique stall, Grimsby Top Town Market
- Turners stall, Grimsby Top Town Market
- K & P Collectables stall, Grimsby Top Town Market
- Grimsby Town FC stall, Grimsby Top Town Market
For more information on Christmas in North East Lincolnshire, visit www.discovernel.co.uk/christmas