Workers who gave Grimsby tip an upcycled Christmas makeover raised £10,574 for local charities and good causes.
Visitors donated generously after witnessing the efforts staff made to transform the site into a recycled winter wonderland.
Most of the decorations – including Santa, a snowman, and a giant Christmas tree – are made using old tyres, traffic cones and other bits and pieces found at the site.
One kind visitor gave £500 just before Christmas. Donations will be divided between charities and local good causes, including Young Carers, Not Home Alone, Harbour Place and Nunny Farm.
In addition, the team at the CRC gave a large box of spare Christmas decorations and £200 to Fairways Care Home for their winter garden, bringing some enjoyment to residents this Christmas.
Grimsby and Immingham CRCs are open daily from 8am to 6pm. Both sites are run by North East Lincolnshire Council’s waste management contractor Newlincs Development Ltd.
Sharon Hunt, operations director at Newlincs Development Ltd, said:
“It is truly amazing how generous members of the public have been, the guys have worked really hard during December to hit the £10,000 target on Christmas Eve and donations are still coming in. We would like to thank everyone that has donated.”
Troy Grady, Head of Elf and Entertainment at the CRC site, said:
“Our goal was to put a smile on people’s faces after a terrible year and try to make some money to help local charities. With the total now over £10,000 through the generosity of the public it makes me proud to live North East Lincolnshire and be part of our great community.”
Matty Harlow, Head of Elf & Safety at the CRC site, added:
“All the lads have pushed really hard to raise money for a good cause to help as many families as we can!”
Cllr Stewart Swinburn, portfolio holder for Environment and Transport at the Council, added:
“Staff at the site are working their socks off to cheer people up during the Christmas holiday.
“The site looks fantastic and is putting big smiles on visitors’ faces.
“I’m grateful to all visitors who generously donated money as a thank you for their efforts.
“To make more than £10,000 in just a month is a fantastic achievement and will make a big difference to people facing hard times.”
Visiting the tips
Grimsby and Immingham CRCs are open, but with some restrictions in place. The following restrictions remain in place:
- No one in self-isolation or with coronavirus symptoms should visit the tips under any circumstances
- Stay two metres away from our staff and other visitors to the site
- Only one visit per day
- Only one car allowed at a container at a time
- Anyone who wants to dispose of a mattress must book in advance by calling 01472 326288 during office hours. Only a limited number are accepted each day.
- Do not move to another container if another person is using it, wait until they are finished
- All waste and recycling must be brought to the site in a vehicle
- Assistance will not be given by the site attendants – please only bring waste that you are able to handle safely yourself
- Maximum of two people in a vehicle
- On your return from the site, please remember not to touch your face and to wash your hands for 20 seconds on arrival at your destination.
- Maximum of three types of waste and/or recyclable materials will be accepted at any one time
- Small quantities of wood/MDF can be brought to the site in a car, van or trailer
- Soil and rubble (maximum of three bags per household per day)
- If you’re using a commercial or large vehicle, register beforehand by visiting www.nelincs.gov.uk/householdwasteform