Skip to main content


The United Kingdom (UK) has left the European Union (EU) and rules now apply to trade, travel and business between the UK and the EU. Here we have highlighted some of the key links to information based on the questions that we have been asked.

Page contents

Advice for residents

Travelling to EU countries  requires preparation in terms of travel documents for you and your pets, health care, mobile roaming charges and driving permits. 

Check what you need to do when going to the EU .

Advice for businesses

Trading with the EU

Guidance on trading with the EU for businesses:

Products and guidance for business

HMRC is creating a series of short videos aimed at helping those businesses brand new to

And recently published updated guidance on how to pay less or no duty on goods you store,
process, repair or temporarily use

Duty Free

The Government has recently announced that British passengers travelling to EU countries
will be able to take advantage of duty-free shopping from January 2021, bringing our
approach to the EU in line with the rest of the world.

GOV.UK – Duty free extended to the EU from January 2021

Advice for people with a passport from an EU country who wish to continue to live and work in the UK

Check if you need to apply to the settlement scheme if you or your family hold a passport from an EU member state or from Switzerland, Norway, Iceland or Liechtenstein.

Check what you need to do to stay in the UK 

Your rights and how to apply for settled and pre-settled status

If you are an EU citizen or a family member of an EU citizen: From September 2023, the Home Office is changing what happens for people who hold pre-settled status when they are approaching the current expiry date of that status. This will not impact anyone who already has settled status or has since become a British citizen.

From September 2023, pre-settled status holders who have not yet obtained settled status and are approaching the current expiry date of their pre-settled status will have that status automatically extended by 2 years. This will ensure that no current pre-settled status holder will see their immigration status expire. There is no need to contact the Home Office as this change will take place automatically.

For more information go to GOV.UK – EU Settlement Scheme enhancements confirmed.

Advice for UK citizens who want to live and work in EU countries

Living and working in an EU country depends on the rules in that country.

You may need to register or apply for residency. You should check that you’re covered for healthcare.

You may also need to exchange your UK driving licence for a licence issued by the EU country where you live.

Check what you must do in the country where you live