We are required by law to produce, maintain and publicise a Constitution which explains how we, as a Council, operate and make decisions affecting the people and places of North East Lincolnshire.
It is a large document, intended to give the reader a clear understanding of our internal mechanisms for decision making at Elected Member and officer levels. It also explains how we regulate behaviour and relationships expected of those both within the Council and who have dealings with it.
The Constitution is divided into 3 parts:
- Part 1 – Summary and Explanation (PDF, 221KB)
- Part 2 – Decision Making (PDF, 2MB) – Divided into 16 articles, which set out the basic rules governing the Council’s business. More detailed rules of procedure are appended to each Article, for example Access to Information Procedure rules, responsibility for functions, Council Standing Orders.
- Article 1 The Constitution (PDF, 324KB)
- Article 2 Members of the Council (PDF, 436KB)
- Article 3 Citizens and the Council (PDF, 535KB)
- Article 4 Decision Making (PDF, 769KB)
- Article 5 The Council Meetings (PDF, 526KB)
- Article 6 Chairing the Council (PDF, 230KB)
- Article 7 The Cabinet (PDF, 481KB)
- Article 8 Overview and Scrutiny (PDF, 554KB)
- Article 9 Regulatory and other Committees (PDF, 332KB)
- Article 10 The Standards and Adjudication Committee (PDF, 371KB)
- Article 11 Area Committees and Forums (PDF, 227KB)
- Article 12 Joint Arrangements (PDF, 235KB)
- Article 13 Officers (PDF, 810KB)
- Article 14 Finance, Contracts and Legal Matters (PDF, 1MB)
- Article 15 Review and Revision of the Constitution (PDF, 231KB)
- Article 16 Suspension, Interpretation and Publication of the Constitution (PDF, 445KB)
- Part 3 – Codes and Protocols (PDF, 2MB) – Including the Code of Corporate Governance, Member and Officers’ Code of Conduct, Members Planning Code of Good Practice, Partnership Governance Protocol.
Democratic Services, Municipal Offices, Town Hall Square, Grimsby, North East Lincolnshire, DN31 1HU
Telephone: 01472 324121
Opening times: Monday to Friday 9am to 5pm, except bank holidays