Free school meals
Free School Meals
You can claim free school meals for a child if the child is in full-time education, you are responsible for the child, and you get at least one of the following benefits:
- Income support
- Income based job seekers allowance
- Income related employment and support allowance
- Guaranteed pension credit
- Child tax credit with an annual income each year of less than £16,190 (as assessed by tax credits)
- Support under part VI of the Immigration and Asylum Act 1999
- Universal credit (provided you have an annual earned income of no more than £7400 or £616.67 monthly)
If you receive child tax credit and working tax credit, your child will not qualify for free school meals.
IMPORTANT: Even if your child receives Universal Free School Meal (Reception, year 1 and year 2) it is still important to apply for it, because the school will receive additional funding known as the pupil premium for every eligible pupil.
To claim for free school meals you can complete the online form on our apply for it page. You can also download a form from the related documents section below and return it to us.
If you are claiming for Housing Benefit or Council Tax support (or both), and free school meals, you only need to fill in the Housing Benefit and Council Tax support application form.
Benefits Team (telephone and postal enquiries only), Local Taxation and Benefits, Municipal Offices, Town Hall Square, Grimsby, North East Lincolnshire, DN31 1HU
Telephone: 01472 323732
Telephone opening times: Monday to Friday 9 am to 4:30 pm, except bank holidays