Free school meals
You can claim free school meals for a child if they are in full-time education, you are responsible for the child, and you get at least one of the following benefits:
- Income support
- Income based job seekers allowance
- Income related employment and support allowance
- Guaranteed pension credit
- Child tax credit with an annual income each year of less than £16,190 (as assessed by tax credits)
- Support under part VI of the Immigration and Asylum Act 1999
- Universal credit (provided you have an annual earned income of no more than £7400 or £616.67 monthly)
If you receive child tax credit and working tax credit, your child will not qualify for free school meals.
Universal Free School Meals
Even if your child receives Universal Free School Meal (Reception, year 1 and year 2) it is still important to make an application as the school will receive additional funding, known as the pupil premium, for every eligible pupil.
Apply for Free School Meals
To claim for free school meals complete the Free School Meals Application .
If you can’t complete the online form you can print and return the Free School Meals Application (PDF, 188KB) .
If you are claiming for Housing Benefit or Council Tax support (or both) and free school meals, you only need to apply using the Housing Benefit and Council Tax support form.
Benefits Team, Municipal Offices, Town Hall Square, Grimsby, North East Lincolnshire, DN31 1HU
Telephone: 01472 323732
Telephone opening times: Monday to Friday 9am to 4:30pm, except bank holidays