North East Lincolnshire Council

Make a new claim for housing benefit or council tax reduction

Universal Credit is now live in North East Lincolnshire. If you live in rented accommodated your housing costs may be funded by Universal Credit. Before making a benefits application please read the information on our Universal Credit pages to see how this could help you.

If you wish to apply for support towards your Council Tax you must also complete the Council Tax Reduction form in our Council Tax section.

Information for customers who are eligible to still make a claim for Housing Benefit or a Council Tax reduction

What benefits are available?

You can claim housing benefit to help pay your rent and council tax reduction to reduce the amount of council tax you have to pay.  You can claim for one or both of these if you meet certain qualifying criteria.  You can claim if you are on a low income, whether you are working or unemployed.

Who is entitled to housing benefit?

If you are working age you can only make a NEW claim for Housing Benefit if you meet certain criteria:

  • Have more than 2 dependent children
  • Live in supported accommodation where the landlord provides support
  • Live in Temporary Accommodation

If you are pension age you should make a claim for Housing Benefit.

If you are unsure please check with us on telephone 0300 3030164 as if you do not claim the correct benefit you may lose money.

If you are charged a commercial rent for the home you live in and have savings or investments worth less than £16,000 you can make a claim. The amount of housing benefit paid depends on:

  • The income you receive
  • The amount of savings you have
  • How many people live in your household
  • The circumstances of any other adults who live with you
  • How much rent you have to pay

New housing benefit claims are paid under the local housing allowance scheme (LHA). Rates of LHA are based on the number of bedrooms legislation says you require.

More information about LHA can be found at On this site you can calculate your room allowance and the maximum benefit you can get based on this. Housing benefit is a means tested benefit and the rates shown are the maximum before means testing is applied.

Who is entitled to council tax reduction?

You can claim a council tax reduction if you are legally responsible for paying council tax for the home you live in, and have savings or investments of less than £6,000.

You can check your eligibility for housing benefit and council tax reduction using our online benefits calculator.

Apply for it

In order to apply you must complete our online Housing benefit and council tax reduction form.

Alternatively, you can complete our claim form (PDF) for housing benefit and council tax reduction.

When you make a claim you may need to provide documents as proof of:

  • Your identity and national insurance number
  • Any savings and investments you have
  • The earnings, benefits, pensions or any other income you receive
  • Your rent and tenancy, if you are claiming housing benefit

If you do not have wage slips, download the Certificate Of Earned Income (PDF) form and ask your employer to complete it.

If you are self employed and your business started less than a year ago, complete and submit the Self Employed New Business (PDF) form.

How will you get paid?

Housing benefit is usually paid direct to you in to your bank or building society account.  We can pay directly to your landlord if they are a social landlord such as Lincolnshire Housing Partnership.

We can only pay housing benefit direct to private landlords in exceptional circumstances – direct payment to landlord.

Council tax reduction is applied directly to your council tax account.  Instead of making payments to you, we issue you with a reduced council tax bill showing any discount awarded and how much you still need to pay.

Protection of public funds

North East Lincolnshire Council is under a duty to protect the public funds it administers, and to this end may use the information you have provided for your application for the prevention and detection of fraud. It may also share this information with other bodies responsible for auditing or administering public funds for these purposes.

If you suspect anyone is committing benefit fraud, please report it