Skip to main content

Apply for Housing Benefit


Apply for Housing Benefit

To apply complete the Housing Benefit form .

What you need to apply

When you make a claim you may need to provide documents as proof of:

  • your identity and national insurance number
  • any savings and investments you have
  • the earnings, benefits, pensions or any other income you receive
  • your rent and tenancy, if you are claiming housing benefit

If you do not have wage slips, download the Certificate Of Earned Income (PDF, 51KB)  form and ask your employer to complete it.

Self employed new business

If you are self employed and your business started less than a year ago, complete and return the Self Employed New Business form (PDF, 50KB) .

New claims

If you are making a new Housing Benefit claim (and are of working age), you have to claim Universal Credit instead.

Related content

Benefit Calculator

Universal Credit

Report changes that affect your Housing Benefit

Extra help with your housing costs (Discretionary Housing Payments)

How we pay Housing Benefit

Appeal a Housing Benefit decision

Contact details

Benefits , Municipal Offices, Town Hall Square, Grimsby, North East Lincolnshire, DN31 1HU

Email: [email protected]

Telephone: 0300 3030164 option 3

Telephone opening times: Monday to Friday 9am to 4:30pm, except bank holidays