Skip to main content

Housing benefit


Housing Benefit can help you pay your rent if you are on a low income. You cannot claim if you own your own home or have a mortgage.


If you are working age you can only make a new claim for Housing Benefit if you meet certain criteria:

  • live in supported accommodation where the landlord provides support
  • live in temporary accommodation

People who are entitled and remain entitled to Severe Disability Premium (including those who have had a break in claim but have been entitled within the last month) will remain on their existing legacy benefit or can claim another legacy benefit relevant to their change of circumstance.

If you are pension age you should make a claim for Housing Benefit.

If you are unsure please check with us on telephone 0300 3030164. If you do not claim the correct benefit you may lose money.

If you are charged a commercial rent for the home you live in and have savings or investments worth less than £16,000 you can make a claim.

The amount of housing benefit paid depends on:

  • the income you receive
  • the amount of savings you have
  • how many people live in your household
  • the circumstances of any other adults who live with you
  • how much rent you have to pay

Use our Benefit Calculator to get an estimate of what you could be entitled to.

Universal Credit

If you live in rented accommodation your housing costs may be funded by Universal Credit. Before making a benefits application please read about Universal Credit  to see how this could help you.

New Housing Benefits claims

New claims are paid under the local housing allowance (LHA) scheme. Rates of LHA are based on the number of bedrooms legislation says you require.

More information about LHA can be found at GOV.UK  where you can also calculate your room allowance and the maximum benefit you can get based on this. Housing benefit is a means tested benefit and the rates shown are the maximum before means testing is applied.

Related content

Benefit Calculator

Universal Credit

Report changes that affect your Housing Benefit

Extra help with your housing costs (Discretionary Housing Payments)

How we pay Housing Benefit

Appeal a Housing Benefit decision

Related documents

Government paper on Council Tax Support Scheme funding (PDF)

Non-dependant deductions 2024-25 (PDF, 111KB)

Related websites

GOV.UK – Report benefit fraud  – If you suspect anyone is committing benefit fraud, report it.

Contact details

Benefits , Municipal Offices, Town Hall Square, Grimsby, North East Lincolnshire, DN31 1HU

Email: [email protected]

Telephone: 0300 3030164 option 3

Telephone opening times: Monday to Friday 9am to 4:30pm, except bank holidays