Skip to main content

Extra money for rent and council tax

Discretionary Housing Payments (DHP)

You can apply for extra help with your housing costs, known as Discretionary Housing Payments (DHP), if you receive Housing Benefit or the housing element of Universal Credit and this does not cover your full rent.

In exceptional circumstances, we can also use money from the fund to help you pay rent in advance to move into a new property.

Payments are only made for a limited time to customers experiencing financial difficulties.

A payment cannot be larger than the difference between your housing benefit or the housing element of your universal credit and the total rent you have to pay.

How applications are reviewed

The benefits team consider every application individually, taking into account your totally household income. A decision will then be made on whether to make an award and how much it will be.

How payment is made

If you receive Housing Benefit your Discretionary Housing Payments will be made alongside your benefits, whether the payment goes to you or directly to your landlord.

If you claim universal credit then the payment will come from North East Lincolnshire Council as a separate transaction.

Apply for Discretionary Housing Payments

To check your eligibility and apply complete our Discretionary Housing Payment form .

Related content

Council Tax support

Housing Benefits

Universal Credit

Related documents

Housing Discretionary Support Fund Policy (PDF, 62KB)

Contact details

Benefits , Municipal Offices, Town Hall Square, Grimsby, North East Lincolnshire, DN31 1HU

Email: [email protected]

Telephone: 0300 3030164 option 3

Telephone opening times: Monday to Friday 9am to 4:30pm, except bank holidays