Skip to main content

Council Tax support

Council Tax support, previously known as Council Tax reduction, reduces the amount you have to pay on your Council Tax bill.

You can claim if you are:

  • You are below pension age and on a low income with savings of less than £6000
  • You are of pension age and on a low income with savings of less than £16000 or receive pension credit guarantee

You can check your eligibility for Housing Benefit and Council Tax support using our online benefits calculator.

How we pay

Council Tax support is applied directly to your council tax account. It is not made as a payment, but is applied through a reduced Council Tax bill. Your bill will show you what discount has been awarded and state how much you still need to pay.

If you think that your bill is wrong or if you think you may have problems making the payments, please contact us immediately.

Apply for Council Tax support

To apply complete the Council Tax support form .

What you need to apply

When you make a claim you may need to provide documents as proof of:

  • your identity and national insurance number
  • any savings and investments you have
  • the earnings, benefits, pensions or any other income you receive
  • your rent and tenancy, if you are claiming housing benefit

If you do not have wage slips, download and print the Certificate of Earned Income (PDF, 51KB)  form and ask your employer to complete it.

If you are self employed and your business started less than a year ago, print and return the Self Employed Form New Business (PDF, 50KB) .

Report changes that affect your Council Tax support

You must tell us about any changes that could affect your Council Tax support claim. To do this complete Report a change of circumstances .

You need to tell us as soon as possible if you, or anyone you live with, has any of the changes of circumstance listed below:

  • a change of address
  • someone moving in with you
  • income changes (including wages, pensions, benefits, maintenance)
  • changes to savings and investments
  • Income Support or Jobseeker’s Allowance starting or stopping
  • a change from Jobseeker’s Allowance (contribution-based) to Jobseeker’s Allowance (income-based)
  • a dependent child leaving full-time education
  • rent changes (for housing benefit claims only)
  • going abroad or being away from home for more than two weeks

You must tell us within one month of a change happening. If you don’t you risk losing some of your entitlement and we may reduce your bill by the wrong amount.

Council Tax support reversal

If you received a reduction in your bill that you were not entitled to:

  • your claim will be changed
  • the money will be added to your account
  • a new Council Tax bill will be issued

Related documents

Council Tax Support Scheme 2024-25 (PDF, 1MB)

Council Tax Support Scheme 2023-24 (PDF, 1MB)

Related content

Housing Benefit

Universal Credit

Benefits calculator

Council Tax

Contact details

Benefits , Municipal Offices, Town Hall Square, Grimsby, North East Lincolnshire, DN31 1HU

Email: [email protected]

Telephone: 0300 3030164 option 3

Telephone opening times: Monday to Friday 9am to 4:30pm, except bank holidays