Skip to main content

Financial support, advice and guidance

Information for people needing some help managing their finances.

We know people are worried so the government is offering help for households.

Find out what cost of living support you could be eligible for on the Government’s Help for Households website.

The government has announced £100m of additional funding to support the most vulnerable households in England with their council tax bill.

This funding will allow us to deliver additional support to households who are already receiving council tax support (CTS) on 01 April 2023, a payment of up to £25 per household will be automatically deducted from 2023/24 council tax bills. This will be shown on your bill as additional council tax support – mandatory.

We have also been able to award an additional small amount of support due to the level of government funding we have received, this will be shown on your bill as additional council tax support – discretionary. You do not need to apply for this additional level of support.

There is also a discretionary fund which is accessible to financially vulnerable households through an application process. This can be found on the Extra money for rent and Council Tax page.

Millions of households across the UK will benefit from a new package of targeted government support to help with the rising cost of living.

Energy Bills Support Scheme doubled to a one-off £400:

  • Households will get £400 of support with their energy bills through an expansion of the Energy Bills Support Scheme.
  • As well as doubling the £200 of support announced earlier this year, the full £400 payment will now be made as a grant, which will not have to be paid back.
  • Energy suppliers will deliver this support to households with a domestic electricity meter over six months from October. Direct debit and credit customers will have the money credited to their account, while customers with pre-payment meters will have the money applied to their meter or paid via a voucher.
  • This support is in addition to the £150 Council Tax rebate for households in England in Council Tax bands A-D, which was announced in February, and which millions of households have already received.

£650 one-off Cost of Living Payment for those on means tested benefits:

  • More than eight million households on means tested benefits will receive a payment of £650 this year, made in two instalments. This includes all households receiving the following benefits:
    • Universal Credit
    • Income-based Jobseekers Allowance
    • Income-related Employment and Support Allowance
    • Income Support
    • Working Tax Credit
    • Child Tax Credit
    • Pension Credit
  • DWP will make the payment in two lump sums – the first from July, the second in the autumn. Payments from HMRC for those on tax credits only will follow shortly after each to avoid duplicate payments.
  • Claimants will need to be in receipt of one of these benefits, or have begun a claim which is later successful, as of 25 May 2022 to be eligible for the first of the two instalments. HMRC and DWP will provide further guidance, and the government will set out the eligibility date for the second instalment, in due course.
  • This payment will be tax-free, will not count towards the benefit cap, and will not have any impact on existing benefit awards.
  • The government will make these payments directly to households across the UK.

One-off £300 Pensioner Cost of Living Payment

  • Pensioner households will receive an extra £300 this year to help them cover the rising cost of energy this winter.
  • This additional one-off payment will go to the over eight million pensioner households across the UK who receive the Winter Fuel Payment and will be paid on top of any other one-off support a pensioner household is entitled to, for example where they are on pension credit or receive disability benefits. Eligible households currently receive between £200 – £300, so the payment will represent at least double the support for this winter.
  • The Winter Fuel Payment (including the extra Pensioner Cost of Living Payment) is not taxable and does not affect eligibility for other benefits.
  • All pensioner households will get the one-off Pensioner Cost of Living Payment as a top-up to their annual Winter Fuel Payment in November/December. For most pensioner households, this will be paid by direct debit.
  • People will be eligible for this payment if they are over State Pension age (aged 66 or above) between 19 – 25 September 2022. There are certain circumstances where an individual above State Pension age does not qualify for the Winter Fuel Payment which can be found on GOV.UK
  • The government will make these payments directly to households across the UK.

£150 Disability Cost of Living Payment

  • Around six million people across the UK who receive the following disability benefits will receive a one-off payment of £150 in September:
    • Disability Living Allowance
    • Personal Independence Payment
    • Attendance Allowance
    • Scottish Disability Benefits
    • Armed Forces Independence Payment
    • Constant Attendance Allowance
    • War Pension Mobility Supplement
  • We know people with disabilities may face a wide range of additional costs, such as specialist equipment, specialist food, and increased transport costs, and this payment will help with these costs as they are likely to have increased. Claimants must be in receipt of, or have begun an eventually successful claim for, one of these benefits as of 25th May 2022 to be eligible for this additional payment.
  • For the many disability benefit recipients who receive means tested benefits, this £150 will come on top of the £650 they will receive separately.
  • These payments will be exempt from tax, will not count towards the benefit cap, and will not have any impact on existing benefit awards.
  • The government will make these payments directly to eligible people across the UK.

Further detailed information is available on GOV.UK – Cost of living support factsheet.

Second cost-of-living payment from 8 November

On 8 November, the government announced that households receiving benefits from the Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) will receive the second part of the £650 cost-of-living payment.

The second payment of £324 will automatically be paid into the bank accounts of most of those eligible in England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland who receive a qualifying DWP benefit. This means those eligible will not need to do anything to receive the money.

More information on the announcement can be found on GOV.UK – £324 payment to hit bank accounts from 8 November.

Benefits checker

It is estimated that £15 billion of benefits go unclaimed, including £2.2 billion amongst pensioners for things like Pension Credit and housing benefit. You can do your own initial check through the Turn 2 Us benefits calculator.

If you want more support with claiming benefits please seek advice from a specialist organisations such as Citizens Advice or Age UK.

Housing welfare support – If you are pension age, severely disabled, live in temporary or supported accommodation, are on a low income or benefits and struggling to pay your bills, you may be able to get help with your housing costs. Visit the benefits page or call 0300 3030164 option 3.

Council Tax – If your income has changed or you live alone you may be entitled to a council tax discount. The Council can also review your monthly payments, spread them across 12 months, or arrange a payment holiday. Visit the council tax discount page, email [email protected] or call 0300 3030164 option 5.

Homelessness – If your financial situation or health is affecting your ability to manage your tenancy or housing costs, please contact our housing options team. If you could be made homeless, or already are, it is important you ring us straight away. Call 01472 326296 or visit the homes and property section. Harbour Place is a charity which supports the rough sleepers and homeless people in our area. If you are sleeping rough or think that you might have found someone who is, please call Harbour Place on 01472 355234.

You may be able to get help from the Home Energy Team if you:

  • live in a cold home or are struggling to heat your home
  • are on a low income
  • have inadequate heating and insulation in your property
  • need advice about switching gas are an older or vulnerable person, have a long-term physical or mental health condition or a child under five
  • live in a rented home and your landlord has failed to make repairs
  • live in a shared house and want information on the responsibilities and duties of landlords

Visit the Home energy page or call 01472 326296 Option 5.

If you are struggling to pay your bills, you can get help with managing debt, budgeting, claiming benefits or finding other local financial support. For free impartial advice call:

  • Citizens advice – 03444 111 444
  • Centre4advice – 01472 236675
  • Age UK advice for older people – 01472 344976

Loan sharks

Do you think you may have borrowed money from an illegal source, or a loan shark? Are you worried about paying high rates of interest?

You can get confidential help from the Illegal Money Lending Hotline on 0300 555. You can also report loan sharks anonymously by texting loan shark and your message to 60003.

Money Navigator Tool

If you are having some financial difficulties you can access money and debt guidance for free. Money Helper UK provides guidance based upon individual circumstances and help find support in their area.

There is information on:

  • what issues individuals need to deal with first
  • ways of staying on top of bills
  • how to find extra support
  • where to get extra help

Go to Money Helper for support.

Help for Households campaign – low-cost broadband and mobile phone tariffs

The government has worked with a range of Internet Service Providers (ISPs) and Mobile Network Operators (MNOs) to deliver low-cost broadband and phone service packages, called social tariffs, for those on low incomes.

Social tariffs are available for people claiming Universal Credit, Pension Credit and some other benefits, with some providers offering deals from £15 a month.

The Department for Digital, Culture, Media and Sport is encouraging councils to raise awareness of these products and has produced a stakeholder toolkit which includes social media materials, posters and leaflets to help councils share this information across their communications channels.

The Help for Households campaign homepage brings together over 40 support schemes that the public may be able to access depending on eligibility. There are also online tools for the public to check the support they might be eligible for and how to access it.

Read about the announcement on GOV.UK – Low-cost broadband and mobile phone tariffs.

For more information go to Help for Households.

For cheaper broadband information go to Ofcom – Social tariffs.

North East Lincolnshire HEY Credit Union – Based in Grimsby’s Central Library,the team runs outreach sessions at the Community Shop, Nunsthorpe, on Tuesdays, West Marsh Community Centre on Wednesdays, and Freeman Street Market on Fridays.

To find out more about credit union membership, visit, call 01482 778753 or pop into Grimsby Library Tuesdays to Thursdays 10am to 2pm.

Credit unions are not-for-profit community banks (co-operatives), helping members to make the most of their money and not make money out of them.

HEY Credit Union offers everyone fair savings accounts, affordable loans, online bank accounts and more besides.

If you are unemployed or face redundancy, there are local places that can help:

  • Citizens advice – 03444 111 444
  • Centre4advice – 01472 236675
  • Era Employment Agency – Call or text 07403 760096 or call 01472 236688

You can also visit Job help campaign.

Help with the cost of childcare may be available. Visit the childcare and funding page to see if you are eligible.

You can also call the Families First Information Service 01472 326292 option 1 for more support and advice.

Are you entitled to a free bus pass? – If you live in North East Lincolnshire and are of eligible age or disabled you can apply for a English National Concessionary Travel Pass.

Your age of eligibility will depend on when you were born or eligibility for a disabled person’s bus pass is based on certain criteria.

You can check your eligibility for the elderly and disabled persons bus passes on our bus pass page.