Bus pass (Concessionary travel scheme)
If you live in North East Lincolnshire and are of eligible age, you can apply for a English National Concessionary Travel Pass, commonly known as a bus pass. Your age of eligibility will depend on when you were born.
You can check your age eligibility by using the State Pension Calculator on GOV.UK – State pension age .
About the bus pass
The bus pass gives you free bus travel, Monday to Friday from 9:30am to 11pm, and free travel all day during weekends and bank holidays. This applies to:
- senior citizens pass holders
- disabled persons pass holders
- companion pass holders
- visitors to North East Lincolnshire with another local authorities free bus pass (not eligible for discounted rail travel in NEL)
Apply for or renew your bus pass
The below centres will be issuing new and replacement bus passes on an appointment-only basis.
- AGE UK Grimsby – To book an appointment, call (01472) 344976, option 1. On arrival, you will need to knock on the door and wait to be let in.
- AGE UK Cleethorpes – To book an appointment, call (01472) 344976, option 2. On arrival, you will need to knock on the door and wait to be let in.
- Immingham Civic Centre Community Hub – To book an appointment, call (01469) 727272. Passes will be posted out to applicants once processed.
For further details in relation to applying for your bus pass in person you can read the Concessionary bus pass scheme booklet (PDF, 3MB).
When applying for a new bus pass, you must remember:
- Elderly bus pass – Bring proof of age and address (dated within the last three months)
- Disabled bus pass – Bring proof of address and most recent proof of eligibility.
Apply online for a bus pass
You can now apply for your bus pass online. to do this you will need the following information:
- Proof you live in North East Lincolnshire
- proof of age or disability depending on what grounds you are applying under
- a passport style photograph
When to renew
- Renewing in person – A pass can be renewed a week before it is due to expire (when applying at AGE UK Grimsby or AGE UK Cleethorpes), but if there are exceptional circumstances such as going away on holiday, your bus pass can be renewed earlier. When renewing your bus pass remember to bring proof of eligibility.
- Renewing online – You can apply for a bus pass or renew a bus pass online up to 28 days in advance. The bus pass will not be printed and posted until you are eligible.
Replacement bus pass
Please keep your pass in a safe place. Lost, damaged or stolen passes will be subject to a £10 replacement charge without any exceptions. If you do lose your pass please bring identification, for example your driving licence or passport, to one of the bus pass issuing locations.
Replacing a bus pass online
If you applied in person for your bus pass at one of the bus pass issuing sites (for example AGE UK Grimsby or AGE UK Cleethorpes) and you have lost your bus pass, it is not currently possible to replace your bus pass via the Council’s website. In this instance, you will need to visit one of the Council’s bus pass issuing sites to replace your lost bus pass. The Council is aware of this issue and is working with it’s partner to ensure all replacement bus passes can be made via the website.
If you applied for your bus pass via the website after 18 June 2021 and you have lost your bus pass, it is possible to replace your bus pass via the Council’s Website.
Requesting a copy of a bus pass photograph
There are some circumstances, such as following the death of a relative, when the next of kin may wish or need to request a copy of a bus pass photograph.
To help us find the photo, and consider whether we can send it to you, you must complete a Bus Pass photograph request form.
If you are requesting a copy of your own photograph please download our My bus pass photo request form (Word, 85KB) .
If you are requesting the photo of another person, for example your wife or husband, please use our Next of kin bus pass photo request form (Word, 32KB) .
All requests will be considered on their own merits and in confidence. A charge of £5 per photograph is made to cover our costs. All completed forms should be submitted at Age UK Cleethorpes or Grimsby Library.
Phone n Ride and Dial a Ride service
Phone ‘n’ Ride and Dial-a-Ride services are exempt from full fare when travelling before 9:30 am.
The Travel Pass also allows discounted rail travel after 9:30am between any two stations within North East Lincolnshire (any two train stations between Cleethorpes and Habrough).
Public Transport, New Oxford House, 2 George Street, Grimsby, North East Lincolnshire, DN31 1HB
Telephone: 01472 313131