Skip to main content

Council Tax discount


If you qualify for a Council Tax discount then you need to apply. The types of discounts and groups of people that are not counted for Council Tax are listed below. This information is for guidance, conditions may apply in order to qualify for a discount.

There are two forms to apply for a discount. One for single person discounts and another one for all other types of Council Tax discount.

If you need further information on discounts, please contact the council tax team.

Single person discount

If there is only one liable person over the age of 18 living in a property you can apply for single person discount .

If you already receive single person discount and need to cancel it complete Cancel single person discount .

Other Council Tax discounts

For all other discounts you need to apply using the Council Tax discount  form.

Types of discount

The full Council Tax bill is based on two adults living in a property as their main home.

If only one adult lives in the property as their main home, a Single Person Discount can be applied which reduces the bill by 25%. To apply complete Apply for single person discount .

If you are only away from your home for a short period, intend to return to your property, and still keep your belongings in the property, it is still classed as your main residence.

Some occupiers are not counted for the purposes of Council Tax, these can include those that are students, apprentices, some carers and the severely mentally impaired. More information on these circumstances are explained in the other sections of this page.

If you have been awarded a single person discount and you have had a change in your circumstances that may affect your award, you need to tell us about the change. If another adult has moved into your property or a child is now aged 18 please complete Cancel your single person discount .

For any other changes please complete the relevant form on Update your Council Tax details.

A single occupier discount cannot be awarded for any unoccupied properties.

If you receive a single person discount review form you must complete and return it within 14 days of the date on the letter. If you do not respond your single person discount may be cancelled back to the beginning of the financial year and a revised bill issued.

Apply for single person discount

Cancel your single person discount

If a disabled person lives at your address you may be entitled to a Council Tax disability reduction.

Apply for discount or exemption

Severely mentally impaired is defined as someone who has a severe impairment of intelligence and social functioning which appears to be permanent. This can include people who are severely mentally impaired as a result of:

  • Degenerative brain disorder for example Alzheimer’s disease
  • A stroke
  • Other forms of dementia
  • Learning disability
  • Severe or chronic mental illness

We can disregard the SMI person for Council Tax, giving 25% off the Council Tax bill if they live with someone not disregarded.

If the SMI person lives alone or if all the residents are considered SMI a full exemption can be applied, meaning there would be nothing to pay on your bill.

The award is for life and moves with the individual.

It is reliant on claiming one of these benefits:

  • Employment and Support Allowance
  • Attendance Allowance
  • Severe Disablement Allowance
  • Higher rate or middle rate care component of a Disability Living Allowance
  • Personal independence payment (PIP) daily living component (either rate)
  • Increased rate of Disablement Pension where constant attendance is needed
  • Constant Attendance Allowance
  • Disability element of Working Tax Credit
  • Disability Premium included with Income Support
  • Disability Premium included with Jobseekers Allowance where partner is claiming
  • Universal Credit that includes an element for limited capability for work

In addition to the above a doctor’s certification of permanent condition is required.

Discount could be backdated up to maximum 6 years if evidence can be provided, such as doctors certification and receipt of benefits.

Apply for discount or exemption .

You will be disregarded for council tax purposes if you are:

  • Providing care or support through a connection with the crown, a charity or local authority
  • Employed for at least 24 hours a week
  • Paid no more than £44 per week
  • Resident where the care is given or in premises which have been provided for the better performance of work


  • Providing care for a person who is entitled to one of the following state benefits:
    • A higher rate attendance allowance
    • The highest rate of the care component of a disability living allowance
    • The appropriately increased rate of disablement pension
    • An increase in a constant attendance allowance
  • Resident in the same dwelling as the person to whom the care is provided
  • Providing care for at least 35 hours a week on average
  • Not a disqualified relative of the person being cared for

A disqualified relative is a person who is the spouse of the other or they live together as husband and wife, or the parent of the other, who is a child below 18 years of age.

Students (or overseas students) on a full time or qualifying course of education are not counted.

A full time student is defined as someone who is enrolled in a full-time course of education at a prescribed educational establishment.

  • A full time course of education must last for at least one academic year or for at least one full calendar year for those educational establishments that do not have academic years;
  • Attend for at least 24 weeks in each academic or calendar year;
  • Study for at least 21 hours per week;

or a person under the age of 20 undertaking a qualifying course of education

  • a qualifying course is one which lasts for at least three calendar months, and is not a course of higher education;
  • must require at least 12 hours per week to be spent on the relevant activities of the course;

or a foreign language assistant.

  • are treated as students during any period that they are appointed at a school or other educational establishment anywhere in Great Britain;
  • must be registered with the British Council;

Student nurses studying academic courses at universities are classified as full time students.

Student nurses will be disregarded if they are completing a course leading to registration on any of parts 1 to 6, 8, 10 or 11 of the register maintained under section 10 of the nurses, midwives and health visitors act 1979, as a first inclusion on that register.

Any person, regardless of age, employed to learn a job, under taking training leading to a qualification recognised by the qualifications and curriculum authority (QCA) and not earning more than £195 per week before tax.

People under 20 who leave school or who finish a course at a further educational college after 30 April in any year are disregarded for discount purposes until the 1 November of the same year.

You are not counted if you are under 25 years of age and are receiving approved training funded by the skills funding agency .

A person who is the spouse, civil partner or dependant of a student is eligible for discount if that person is not a British citizen and is prevented by immigration regulations from taking paid employment or from claiming benefits whilst in the UK.

You will not be counted if you are between the ages of 18 and 20 years old and in full time education undertaking a course of further education.

Persons in detention

This class includes people who are detained by order of the court, whether they are in prison, in a hospital or in any other place.

It does not include people in police custody until they are remanded in custody by a court, but it does include detention under the Immigration Act 1971 (deportation) and under the Mental Health Act 1983.

The disregard does not apply if they have been sent to prison for non-payment of council tax or default in paying a fine. It does apply if they are in prison for non-payment of business rates.


If a dwelling forms part of a single property and is occupied by a dependent relative (who is aged 65 or more) of the main dwelling occupant, the dependent relative is exempt from paying council tax if it is their sole or main residence.

Prior to 1 April 2014, a relative who was not a dependent relative of the main dwelling occupant, and was under 65, paid the normal council tax charge.

After 1 April 2014, they may now qualify for a 50% discount. This discount will be applied after taking into account any other discounts they are entitled to, for example a single occupancy discount.

If the annex is unoccupied but is in use by the main householder then a 50% discount may also apply.

Resident hospital patients

You are not counted if the hospital is your only main home. This applies to NHS hospitals only, where the hospital building is entered into the valuation list as a dwelling.

People living in care homes, independent hospitals and hostels providing a high level of care

If you live, and are receiving care, in one of these places you are not counted so long as it is your only main home.

People staying in certain hostels and night shelters

A person whose main or only residence is a short stay hostel or night shelter, providing communal accommodation for persons with no fixed abode.

Members of religious communities

You must depend on the community for all your material needs and have no personal income (with the exception of any occupational pension due to former employment) or capital of your own.Only members whose main work is prayer, contemplation, the relief of suffering, education or a combination of the above are counted.

Members (and dependents) of international headquarters and defence organisations

You will not be counted if you are a member of one of the above, or a dependant of a member.

Members (and dependants) of visiting forces

A property occupied by a person associated to visiting forces.

Persons with diplomatic privilege or immunity

The discount disregard applies to any person on whom privileges and immunities are granted by the Diplomatic Privileges Act 1964, the Commonwealth Secretarial Act 1996, and the Consular Relations Act 1968 or the Commonwealth Countries and Republic of Ireland (Immunities and Privileges) Order 1985.

Related content

Pay your Council Tax

Change or update your details

Can’t afford to pay your bill

Council Tax banding and charges

About Council Tax

Related websites

Skills funding agency

Contact details

Council Tax, Local Taxation and Benefits, Municipal Offices, Town Hall Square, Grimsby, DN31 1HU

Email: [email protected]

Telephone: 0300 3030164 option 5

Telephone opening times: Monday to Friday 9am to 4:30pm, except bank holidays